3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 7:02 AM by mikebeargie

Auditing/Logging Database Development Changes

skashanchi

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but all I am finding in the discussions are topics that are over 4 years old, and I think in the software development world, that is way too long. So I am wondering if there are any updates and better tools out there for automatically logging development changes in a database, i.e changes to tables, fields, scripts, etc.

Like many developers I am needing to implement changes I make into my development copy of the database into our live database. I have the additional difficulty that the company is a 24/7 operation, so there is literally no down time, requiring me to sneak in changes during slower times when I can reduce the possibility of locking users out, or else they locking me out and preventing changes to be made.

So I need a good audit trail of changes I have made, so that I can recreat ethe changes in the live database as quickly and thoroughly as possible.

In the previous discussions I have seen references to:

FMDiff (FMDiff compares FileMaker Files, Clones, and Backups)

And

InspectorPro (beezwax > products > inspectorpro 5 is here!)

And

BaseElements (BaseElements | Goya Pty Ltd)

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions about the above products and/or any other products or procedures.

Thank you.