AnsweredAssumed Answered

Auditing/Logging Database Development Changes

Question asked by skashanchi on Jan 5, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 by mikebeargie

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but all I am finding in the discussions are topics that are over 4 years old, and I think in the software development world, that is way too long. So I am wondering if there are any updates and better tools out there for automatically logging development changes in a database, i.e changes to tables, fields, scripts, etc.

Like many developers I am needing to implement changes I make into my development copy of the database into our live database. I have the additional difficulty that the company is a 24/7 operation, so there is literally no down time, requiring me to sneak in changes during slower times when I can reduce the possibility of locking users out, or else they locking me out and preventing changes to be made.

So I need a good audit trail of changes I have made, so that I can recreat ethe changes in the live database as quickly and thoroughly as possible.

In the previous discussions I have seen references to:

FMDiff (FMDiff compares FileMaker Files, Clones, and Backups)

And

InspectorPro (beezwax > products > inspectorpro 5 is here!)

And

BaseElements (BaseElements | Goya Pty Ltd)

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions about the above products and/or any other products or procedures.

Thank you.

Outcomes