11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2016 10:00 AM by ZWW

PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem

janet.wright

This issue is a little different from others with FM 14's pdfs in container fields.

I have a layout with a container field in which I insert pdf's (just the reference, not the file) so that the pdf icon shows in the field.  In FM 11 Pro, when I would double-click on the pdf icon, the file would open in whatever was my default pdf reader.  This worked perfectly whether the reader was Adobe Reader, PDF Expert, or Preview, no problem.

Since I upgraded to FM 14 Pro, all the old pdfs open perfectly well, no matter which pdf reader is the default; but if I double-click on the icon for any NEW pdfs that are inserted since the upgrade, they don't do anything.  There's no point in having them there.

If FM 14 Pro can handle the old pdfs, why can't it handle newly inserted ones as well?

Specifics:  Mac OS El Capitan, Adobe Pro X, Adobe Reader DC, Filemaker 14 Pro.  Thanks!

Jw

• 1. Re: PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem
          TSPigeon

janet.wright:

Thank you for your post.

I was unable to reproduce an issue when inserting a file (pdf) as a reference and having it open when double-clicking with FileMaker Pro 14.0.4 (Advanced) on Mac OS X 10.11.2 and Preview. To attempt to reproduce I followed these steps:

1. Created "Test.fmp12"

2. Created "Container" (container field)

3. Verified Container was optimized for images (Double-Click does not work for interactive content)

4. Inserted 4 PDFs using Insert File on 4 different records

5. Double-Clicked, they opened with Preview

I hope this information is of use. If you have further information needed to reproduce, just let me know!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem
            janet.wright

Thank you for your test.  I have followed your steps and produced a little database just like the one you did, optimized for images.  When I double-click the inserted pdfs, nothing happens.  So I am not getting the same behavior that you do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jw

• 3. Re: PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem
              BowdenData

What happens if you right-click on the container? Do you have an option to "Open in Preview"? I see that on my machine. I don't have the same setup as you, but this works (right-click) every time.

• 4. Re: PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem
                janet.wright

In records created in FM 11, When I right-click on the container (i.e .on the icon of the pdf), I get a menu to cut, copy, paste, insert picture, insert file, and EXPORT FIELD CONTENTS.  If I choose export field contents, it will export the file (the entire pdf file, not an icon) to a location such as the desktop, and I can open it there.  So, that's something.  But it's very clunky compared to just double-clicking on the icon to open the file, which works for every record created in FM 11.  (To answer your question, I don't have an option to "open in Preview" or another PDF handler.)  Thanks for your suggestion.

Specifics:  Mac OS El Capitan, Adobe Pro X, Adobe Reader DC, Filemaker 14 Pro.

Janet

• 5. Re: PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem
                  janet.wright

I misspoke in my first line above.  The problem is with "records created in FM 14," not "records created in FM 11."  Sorry

• 6. Re: PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem
                    TSPigeon

janet.wright:

Thank you for your responses.

If I could get a little more information:

-How are you placing the file in the container? (Insert File/Insert PDF, Manually/Scripted?)

-If you right-click on the container and use "Insert File", checking "Store only a Reference", can you double-click as expected?

I look forward to your response.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem
                      BowdenData

First off, my setup is different from yours, so this may not be a big help, but perhaps worth sharing and you testing.

Mac OSX Yosemite, No Adobe, FMPA14.0v4

How are you putting the PDF's into the container field? Are you manually doing this in the GUI or is this scripted?

1) If inserting manually using the GUI, I find that I have to either right-click and select "Insert PDF" or drag n' drop the PDF into the container field. In both these cases, the PDF is interactive for me. If I manually select "Insert File", then all I get is the PDF icon. No interactivity, no double-click to open, no right-click options to "open in preview", etc.

2) If I insert the PDF using scripting, then I CAN use the script step of "Insert File". One of the options for this script step is to display "Content of file (when possible)". When I do this, I get all the interactivity desired. See screenshot.

Screen Shot Insert File script options.png

3) After the PDF is inserted into the container field. I can scroll the PDF around, zoom in, etc. If I right-click on the PDF, I get the following options.

Screen Shot right-click options.png

4) If the size of the container field on my layout is big enough (about 250 points wide or wider), then I additionally get the overlay graphic from the Preview application. By using this graphic, I can open the PDF with one click on the proper button in the overlay. If the container is not wide enough, then I don't see the overlay when I hover over the container field.

Screen Shot of Preview Overlay.png

Even though you have Adobe, I would expect somewhat similar behavior. Maybe try testing things with some of my observations. As to why things are different between PDF's added to your dB when it was running FMP11, I was able to dig up a note I found from the 2012 FileMaker Devcon about this. It was in one of the "under the hood" sessions. All I wrote down was that from FMP11 to FMP12, there were changes to how the Insert File script step worked. It was changed to make it easier for the developer to just using a single "insert file" script step as opposed to FMP11 where as the developer, you had to pick what specific script step you wanted to use (insert file, insert pdf, insert image, etc.). My note further says that they left the "old" script steps in place for backward compatibility even though they were not really needed with improvements to the "Insert File" script step.

As to using the GUI manually, it seems like doing a drag and drop mimics the script step of "insert file" in that it figures things out  as best it can. The right-click menu options seem to behave like they did in FMP11 in that you have to use the correct one depending on what you want.

Hope this might help some.

Doug

• 8. Re: PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem
                        BowdenData

Hi TSPigeon,

I know that I have a different OS from you, but for what it is worth, I can't double click on a PDF in an interactive container and have it open in Preview. This applies no matter what variation I use to insert a PDF.

I can however right-click on a non-interactive container and select insert file and then put a PDF into it. In this specific scenario, I can double-click on the container and it opens in Preview.

3:55 PM UPDATE to my post

-------------------------------------------

The double-clicking only works when I choose to store the file as "a reference" in the non-interactive field. If I store it internally, then double-clicking does nothing. If I do an insert file into an interactive container and choose to store as reference, then I don't get any interactivity functionality and can't double-click to open the file.

Doug

• 9. Re: PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem
                          janet.wright

Thanks, TSPIgeon!  The key was "-If you right-click on the container and use "Insert File", checking "Store only a Reference", can you double-click as expected?"

I knew I wanted to store it only as a reference, but I missed that check box!  I guess when I was running FM 11 I had it checked as a default, and when I upgraded to FM 14, I missed setting that up. 

I really appreciate your patience and persistence.  So pleased to get this right!

Janet

• 10. Re: PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem
                            janet.wright

Thank you for your suggestions, Doug!  As you may see, TSPigeon figured out my problem, but your ideas may help someone else, and they helped me understand how this function works.

Thanks for the help!

Janet

• 11. Re: PDF in container field won't open in FM 14 - new problem
                              ZWW

I am very grateful. after strugling for many hours this solved the problem also for me.

many thanks

EB