7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 2:31 PM by schamblee

Sharing a networked Database

Linda

I am trying to set up a FMP Pro 14 file as a shared file on a networked server.  I am reading that the best way to do this is by installing FMP Pro 14 on the computer that is hosting the file.  The host happens to be a Windows Server 2003 box.  I can't find any confirmation that FMP PRO 14 is compatible with WS 2003 and am hoping someone can tell me.  The FMP website says only that FMP Pro 14 supports OS's up to Windows 10, but says nothing about Windows Servers.  We have NOT purchased FMP Server.

Thanks,

Linda

• 1. Re: Sharing a networked Database
          schamblee

If it is not listed then it has not been tested.   I would bet that 14 will not run correctly on Windows Server 2003, that is a very old system.   I would not recommend running FM14 on a computer / OS that old.  

FM can host a database up to 5 concurrent clients if you need more clients then FMS will be required. 

• 2. Re: Sharing a networked Database
            siplus

I am trying to set up a FMP Pro 14 file as a shared file on a networked server.  I am reading that the best way to do this is by installing FMP Pro 14 on the computer that is hosting the file.

And where did you read that ?

• 3. Re: Sharing a networked Database
              Linda

"I am reading that the best way to do this is by installing FMP Pro 14 on the computer that is hosting the file."  I read this from the fmp message I get when I open my file:

"Project X" is a shared file.  Opening a shared file directly from a remote volume will reduce performance and can affect reliability. 

You should instead share the file by opening it with FileMaker software on the same computer where the file is stored on disk.  You can then open the file remotely from your computer using the Open Remote command.

• 4. Re: Sharing a networked Database
                CarstenLevin

Well, well, not every bit of information and everything that is displayed by computer software dialogs are true.

The best solution is to have your file hosted on your own FileMaker Server or at a hosting partners server.

You will need at least Windows Server 2008 or 2012 or a recent version of Mac OS X.

How many users are going to use the database?

Best regards

Carsten

• 5. Re: Sharing a networked Database
                  Linda

we will have up to 5 concurrent users, for which we bought individual fmp pro 14 licenses.  we did not buy FMS. 

After research this, our solution is going to be to install FMP pro 14 along with the database on a windows 7 box and host it from there, since it doesn't sound like our version of FMP will run on a windows server 2003 box.

thanks for everyone's help and input.

Linda

• 6. Re: Sharing a networked Database
                    schamblee

FM can have 5 concurrent users, but that does not mean that is the best setup.   You may be much happier with the performance and other features that FMS offer.

• 7. Re: Sharing a networked Database
                      schamblee

Also another note FMI does not list any version of Windows Server to be compatible with FMP14 as stated above.   FMI lists versions of Windows Server that is compatible with FMS.   I'm not saying FMP will not run on that version of Windows Server, but if you run into an issue, you may not get any support from FMI. 

Usually designed of the database is done on a workstation then the database is upload to the FMS which requires Windows server.

FileMaker Pro operating system requirements - all versions | FileMaker

FileMaker Server operating system requirements - all versions | FileMaker

You can always call FMI sales department.