9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 6:02 AM by beverly

I'm trying to import an .ALE file.

katiehed

I'm trying to import an .ALE file.  When I am in the Import Field Mapping window I cannot get anything in the Source Field side. I've tried going through the options in the Character Set pulldown with no results.  Is there something I need to do the the .ALE file? Or do I need to adjust something on the Filemaker side?

• 1. Re: I'm trying to import an .ALE file.
          MaxEh

You will need to covert the file to one that FMP can use. Click on the expand triangle for a list of supported formats. I have not dealt with .ale files before but a quick search suggests they are some type of txt file. Can the .ale file be exported in one of the formats listed below? You could start with that. I'm sure others will chime in if I'm off base here.

Import options.png

• 2. Re: I'm trying to import an .ALE file.
            BruceRobertson

Never heard of a .ALE file type. What is it?

• 3. Re: I'm trying to import an .ALE file.
              davidhead

The Avid Log Exchange (ALE) file format was created so that the contents of film-based databases could be transferred between systems. Cinema Tools supports importing and exporting ALE files, making it possible to share databases with other systems.

Cinema Tools 4 User Manual

• 4. Re: I'm trying to import an .ALE file.
                davidhead

I just tried with a sample ALE file and it should work. However, the structure of the file will mean the first few records are not needed. The format of the file I have is:

Heading

FIELD_DELIM TABS

VIDEO_FORMAT PAL

FILM_FORMAT 16mm

FPS 24

Column

Name Camroll Labroll KN Start KN Duration Tape Start End Duration Tracks Soundroll Sound TC Scene Take Notes Perf Daily Roll Ink Number TC 24

Data

tc_01_04_bob_2.mov 000001 FN 83 7693-5725+12 0409+15 001 01:13:42:11 01:19:10:06 00:05:27:20 VA1 1

tc_01_05_bob_1A.mov 000001 FN 83 6139-9521+00 001 01:19:10:19 01:23:36:09 00:04:25:15 VA1

etc...

So effectively the first 10 records can be deleted after import.

• 5. Re: I'm trying to import an .ALE file.
                  MaxEh

Sounds like the .ale format is for similar type programs i.e. video type data. Does Cinema Tools support exporting in one of the formats that FMP understands? If so start there and see what kind of output you get and from there perhaps fields can be mapped (or not).

• 6. Re: I'm trying to import an .ALE file.
                    MaxEh

Beat me to it!

• 7. Re: I'm trying to import an .ALE file.

Sounds like there are good replies to this posting already, but when I've had to import something that FMP didn't natively understand I've used two approaches, one in FMP and one outside FMP:

1. Inside FMP.

Import all records into a table with one field. Then do a table scan on that table (layout) and do whatever you need to parse each record, writing the fields to the actual separate table's fields in FMP.

2. Outside FMP.

I did parsing using a text edit tool, or RegEx parser, or an external program. Save parsed data to a text file. Import into FMP. Depending on the complexity of the file, sometimes the external program was for me the easiest overall choice. In one case, I made a web service so I could integrate the parsing into the FMP application, but, having the external web service, I could still use the parsing program for other users.

A must-have feature for me was FMP 13's http POST feature. That one feature alone made me upgrade to 13!

FMP is so extensible!!!

HTH.

- m

• 8. Re: I'm trying to import an .ALE file.
                        ch0c0halic

Bruce,

Sorry, I've never heard of it either.

My thoughts on the issue:

Where is the file coming from?

If its from a person maybe they are (incorrectly) entering their own (just for fun¿) extension.

If its from an automated system maybe the programmer put in the wrong (valid) extension?

Sorry I can't really help. I used to get a file with a strange extension and had to change it to ".txt". I know you can use AppleScript to do it. §^=)

• 9. Re: I'm trying to import an .ALE file.
                          beverly

See this link for information on apps that can open .ale files:

ALE File Extension - Open .ALE Files

(note the 'ANY text editor' for either platform). From there you need to know what to do with it - and this link implies text with columns and data as tab-delimited).

beverly