13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2016 5:41 AM by calculu

FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly

calculu

FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly when I pasted "55237" into the Primary ID Field on the main Layout and then clicked on a Record inside a Portal.

The pasted text caused the Record to "disassociate" itself from one Record and "associate" itself with a different Record.

However, I didn't give a change for the change to take effect before clicking on the Associated Record in the Portal.

This is when the error occurred.

Details:

FileMaker Pro 13.0v4 (11-13-2014)

Windows Version: 6.1 (Build 7601)

CPU Type: Pentium

Physical RAM: 4,011.50 Meg (92% Used)

The File is hosted on a remote server

There were about six concurrent users when it happened

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
          TSGal

calculu:

Thank you for your post.

What version of FileMaker Server is being used for the hosted file?  What operating system is being used for FileMaker Server?  What operating system version?

Have you tried using the file locally?  If so, are you able to make it crash?

Do other users also encounter the crash?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
            calculu
            1. FileMaker Server 13
            2. Windows Server 2008 R2

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
              TSGal

calculu:

Thank you for the additional information.

Does FileMaker Server also crash?  Or, is it just FileMaker Pro?  If the latter, does it affect other clients accessing the file?

Have you tried opening the file locally (not the hosted file)?  If so, are you able to make it crash?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
                calculu

FileMaker Server doesn't crash, just FileMaker Pro. 

It does not affect other clients accessing the file.

I haven't tried opening the file locally, as a) I can't access the Server for a dummy copy (to play around with) and b) no time for this. Sorry!

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
                  calculu

I did the same action now and again, the following message appears:

"FileMaker Pro has stopped working.  A problem caused the prgram to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the prgram and notify you if a solution is available."

There is no error code, just "Close program".

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
                    TSGal

calculu:

Try creating another user account on your machine.  Login to the new user account, launch FileMaker Pro and access the hosted file.  Repeat the same steps as before to see if you can make FileMaker Pro crash.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
                      calculu

I logged in as a different User and duplicated the actions (steps) to the best of my ability.  It doesn't bomb...

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
                        TSGal

calculu:

Since the new user account works properly, there is something in your original user account that is contributing to the crash.  You can delete the new user account, and in your original user account, turn off all non-Microsoft services.  See if you can reproduce the crash.  If not, then add back the services a few at a time until the crash occurs.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
                          calculu

Sorry for the misunderstanding; I logged into FileMaker Pro with different credentials, not to Windows.

Anyway, in between the original post and the latest occurrence (21-Jul-2016), we upgraded to Windows 10.

This probably means that most contributory factors that caused the original crash were replaced with new ones. If this is true, then the most recent crash happened after your suggested workaround was carried out.

Correct me if my hunch is out of sync...

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
                            TSGal

calculu:

I haven't suggested any workarounds.  I'm still trying to determine what actions trigger the crash.

Keep in mind that FileMaker Pro 13 was never tested with Windows 10, so this may introduce a new crash scenario.

Do other clients also crash when using FileMaker Pro with the hosted file?  Are the clients accessing the same layouts as you?

If you are unable to crash using a new FileMaker Pro Account Name, then what are the differences between the new Account Name and the original Account Name.

If you cannot get a local copy of the file for testing, then create a new Windows user account, login to the new user account, launch FileMaker Pro and see if you are able to crash.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
                              calculu

I'd be happy to test your suggestions, alas we work in a tightly-controlled environment where many departments are served by a tiny HelpDesk.  This doesn't give me the freedom to create Windows Accounts.

As the data administrator, I'm the only one who'd encounter this particular problem, so no luck with other users...

There is no difference between the new Account Name and the original Account Name.

On reflection, the problem might lie in the fact that the Associated Records reside in a Portal whose Relationship is built on a copy of the original Table.

I have duplicated the Parent Table "Contacts_Table" so that I can have a Child Table "Contacts_Table_2" with related Contacts in a Portal on the same Layout.

Is it possible that FileMaker loses it when one "disconnects" a Record from an identical Table? Just a hunch... !

• 12. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
                                TSGal

calculu:

If there is no difference between the new Account Name and the original Account Name, then delete the original Account Name, and rename the new Account Name back to the original Account Name.

FileMaker does not "lose it" when you disconnect a record from an identical table.  FileMaker keeps track of all relationships based on table ID and field ID.  Therefore, an identical table would have a different table ID.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Pro Quits Unexpectedly
                                  calculu

I have followed your advice. Let's see what happens.