9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 9:22 PM by CarstenLevin

FileMaker WebDirect not working on PCs

KatrinaRolfe_1

Hi,

I'm very much hoping for some assistance with a problem I am facing with FileMaker WebDirect. Within our company there are two Mac computers with FileMaker Pro 13 installed. One of these computers is mine and the other is a spare. I have learnt to build databases and manage everything FileMaker-related within the company.

The rest of the company staff access FileMaker via Web Direct to enter data and keep records. Apart from three Mac computers, the rest of the company are PCs.

Late last year (before our maintenance expired, which we did not renew), I received a link to download FileMaker Pro 14 and Server 14. Only the Server update was installed as the link I had received for FileMaker Pro 14 didn't work. Unfortunately I didn't get enough time to properly follow up on what the issue with the link was and missed my chance to have it resolved before the maintenance expired. I had lodged the issue with FileMaker and they assured me the link would be resent when it was fixed. But they never did.

In the meantime, the Server was updated to version 14 and I'm still running FileMaker Pro 13 on my computer.

Long story short, since updating the Server to the newest version, none of the PC users have been able to access the databases properly. They can access the Web Direct login screen and login successfully. However after a few moments of navigating through the databases, the spinning wheel appears and the page never loads again. It just stays on the spinning wheel and the user is basically shut out of the database.

I've had our IT provider look into the problem, with no success. So now I'm left wondering two things:

1. Is it a compatibility issue and should I try to upgrade FileMaker Pro to version 14 to rectify the problem, or

2. Regardless of which version of FileMaker Pro I am running on my computer (to build and manage the databases), is this issue because Web Direct is not after all compatible with PCs (despite FileMaker claiming it does work)?

For months we've tried different browsers on the PCs and nothing works. FileMaker Web Direct only works correctly on the Mac computers (personally I use Safari as I find it fastest for Web Direct) and none of the 20+ PCs in the company.

It's very frustrating and I would really like to know how I can possibly fix it.

Thanks for any help.

Katrina

• 1. Re: FileMaker WebDirect not working on PCs
          CarstenLevin

Hi,

If you had a VLA agreement running all the way up to FileMaker 14 you will also have the FileMaker 14 license codes for server and clients.

You can download the trial versions of FMS and FMP from FileMaker and use your license codes with them.

But if you had an AVLA agrement you can not continue to use FileMaker when you stopped paying.

However after a few moments of navigating through the databases, the spinning wheel appears and the page never loads again. It just stays on the spinning wheel and the user is basically shut out of the database.

But if this is your main problem you have a problem with the server or with the solution. It is not because you are using the FileMaker 13 client, although I recommend that you upgrade to 14.0v4.

Questions:

• Server specifications, hardware and software, system versions, setup?
          • How many WD users?
          • How complex is your solution?

Best regards

Carsten

• 2. Re: FileMaker WebDirect not working on PCs
            Markus Schneider

- there is no firewall issue with the PC clients?

- what browsers on PC? No popup blockers, etc.

- do You have connection packs installed on Your FM14 server? As a standard, a FMS14 will have one 'connection' for webd...

-- connections ar concurrent.. if You are not logged on the FM database, one other client should be able to connect

• 3. Re: FileMaker WebDirect not working on PCs
              CarstenLevin

Maybe focus on:

FileMaker Web Direct only works correctly on the Mac computers

OK, are the PC's and Mac's on the same network?

What browser and version are you using on the PC's

Is it direct local or via Remote Desktop etc.

Best regards

Carsten

• 4. Re: FileMaker WebDirect not working on PCs
                jurijn

I think there could be some problems with firewall configuration or uncompatibility between the client and the server software.

You can also debug the script and look if there is a problem (undefinite loop), because some script steps work different with webdirect...
                But that is probably not the case, because you mentioned that on Mac everything works fine.

It is hard to say. I would first update the clients software and then try. Later you continue and try other possibilities...
                Please, give us an answer if you find something.

Best regards
                Jurij

• 5. Re: FileMaker WebDirect not working on PCs
                  CarstenLevin

Hi everybody,

I think that we help best if we get information first, before guessing.

+ focus on one fact: That Katrina write that it works on Mac and not PC.

Therefore before guessing to much and sending her in the wrong directions we need to know:

• Are the PC/Macs on the same network
                  • OS and browser/browser versions on the PC's

The interesting point is that it works on Mac and not PC's: Thus those questions first, before going much deeper.

Best regards

Carsten

• 6. Re: FileMaker WebDirect not working on PCs
                    Kaj_Hjorth

Hi,

it would be helpful to have details of your complete setup of your Filemaker System.

You mention two Macs with Filemaker Pro and PC that access via WebDirect.

You also mention a download of Filemaker Server, but you do not mention a Server Machine

or its specification.

Maybe you should at first check that FileMaker Server is correctly installed on its own hardware

and check its configuration.

Then check that you have purchased the needed number of WebConnections for your Filemaker Server

for the PCs to access through WebBrowsers.

Regarding accessing Filemaker 14 with FileMaker Pro 13, its possible if server is correctly set up.

Note that FileMakerPro 13 is not certified for use with Apple OS El Capitan, so if you are using this

latest Apple OS you should update to FileMaker Pro 14

Sorry if this sounds elementary,

but trying to see where the problem is leaves us with many loose ends as we do not have all details.

You should also check the System requirements for both Filemaker Pro and the Server software.

Web browsers on PCs will work, if Internet Explorer not, then try to dowload Chrome and FireFox

and test them. We have found Chrome to be very useful.

Hope this helps

Kaj Hjorth

• 7. Re: FileMaker WebDirect not working on PCs
                      KatrinaRolfe_1

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help, suggestions and questions so far.

Firstly, I am going to contact FileMaker today to upgrade the two licences of FileMaker Pro to version 14. As Kaj pointed out above, FileMaker Pro (like so many other programs) is not compatible with OS El Capitan, which is what the two Macs are running. So I believe this is the first thing I should do to see if there's any improvement in access to Web Direct.

As regards all your other questions, I must admit that I'm not as knowledgeable on the setup of FileMaker Server. I have taught myself over the last 2.5 years to build databases in FileMaker Pro, but the setup of the Server (and the recent update to Version 14), was done by our IT providers, so I'm not as certain about some of the specs you've asked me to provide.

All I know is that FileMaker was working for us perfectly well before we upgraded to Server version 14, but I do know that I also upgraded to El Capitan around the same time, so it's possible that's contributing to the problem.

I will come back here and report on progress once FileMaker Pro 14 has been installed. If Web Direct is still not working on the PCs within the office, I will endeavour to answer all the questions you've asked in the hope that you can help me towards a solution.

Many, many thanks,

Katrina

• 8. Re: FileMaker WebDirect not working on PCs
                        KatrinaRolfe_1

Hi again everyone,

Whether this is still of interest to anyone, I wanted to follow up with a post about how the problem was eventually solved.

I was able to discuss the issue with FileMaker Support, who were extremely helpful and did not give up until they found a solutions. Various things were tried to resolve the issue, but it was when FileMaker Support and our IT Providers were in contact that the solution presented itself. Who knows, this may be of interest to someone else who may face the same problem in the future.

The issue originally was the FileMaker WebDirect was not working on any of the PC computers and whilst it would log them in ok, it timed them out within a few minutes.

The issue was our Virus Software. It was blocking the WebDirect website and only when an exception was made for WebDirect did the problem cease. Now, all PC users are able to login to WebDirect, navigate and enter date in the databases without any time out issues at all.

I'm very pleased with the help and support provided by FileMaker Support and want to thank everyone who tried to offer suggestions and solutions to this thread.

Thanks again,

Katrina

• 9. Re: FileMaker WebDirect not working on PCs
                          CarstenLevin

Hi Katrina,

Thanks for getting back. It is of extreme value to know what the problem was and how it was solved. It is also good to hear about the support from FileMaker!

The issue was our Virus Software. It was blocking the WebDirect website and only when an exception was made for WebDirect did the problem cease. Now, all PC users are able to login to WebDirect, navigate and enter date in the databases without any time out issues at all.

Do you know why the virus software caused this problem?

Was it because they expected a certificate to be installed or other reasons ... do you know which Virus software?

Even if we do not thet this information it is valid that you remind us to also be aware of this potential problem.

Best regards

Carsten