1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 10:17 AM by DarrinKing

Web direct refreshing issue

sudha

Hi all,

Is any one is facing web direct refreshing issue in Filemaker 14.0.4 version of the Server?

The issue is when accessing the web page, spinning wheel is rotating in the page with white background before loading the data.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
          ThomasMyers

Yes we are seeing this also.  It appears to happen more on slower connections, but even on fast connections I see it refresh. Just leaving the page sitting there. I see a spinning wheel somethings as the page refreshes.

• 2. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
            sudha

Is there any resolution for this issue ?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
              TSGal

sudha:

Thank you for your posts.

What type of objects are you displaying on the layout?  If there are a lot of objects of complex objects, the CSS may take some time to render.

What browser are you using?  What version of the browser are you using?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
                sudha

Hi,

I have tried with the sample database provided by the Filemaker team and it is showing the refreshing issue with the spinning wheel in the white screen in web browser.

This issue is replicating in all the browsers.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
                  TSGal

sudha:

If you are having issues with the FMServer_Sample file, then this may be a network issue.

Do you have a Firewall enabled?  If so, temporarily turn it off and try again.

What type of machine is FileMaker Server installed?  How much RAM?

Do you have any other applications running on the server?

Is this a single-machine or two-machine configuration?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
                    DarrinKing

We too are having this exact problem.  Upgrading to 14.0.4.413 has not resolved it.  When accessing the FMServer_Sample file, as well as custom solutions, the page frequently goes white and displays a spinning wheel.  Many times it will take a minute or longer to return to the layout.  HERE is a video of the issues with the FMServer_Sample DB.

Config information

Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1

Processor: QEMU Virtual CPU version (cup64-rhel6) 2.59 GHz (4 Processors)

RAM: 8:00 GB

System Type: 64-bit

Client machines used to test:

MacOS: OS X 10.11.3

Chrome  50.0.2661.102 (64-bit)

Windows 7 Profesional SP1

IE 11.0.25

• 7. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
                      TSGal

DarrinKing:

Thank you for your post and video.

First thing in the video was Chrome with 16 tabs open.  Since I don't know what the other 15 tabs are doing, log out of WebDirect, close all 16 tabs and quit Chrome.  This will reset and reclaim memory.  Launch Chrome again, and in the first and only tab, access WebDirect and open FMServer_Sample.fmp12.  See if you are still able to reproduce the issue.  If you can reproduce the issue, let me know if any other applications are running on the server.

Launch a browser on the server and access the hosted file.  Does the issue still occur?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
                        DarrinKing

Hi TSGal,

I restarted my computer, opened only one tab in Chrome and accessed the FMServer_Sample.fmp12 file.  Same result.  HERE is the video of the result.  As for accessing the file on the server, I'll need to chat with our server admin to arrange for that.  I'll report back on Monday.

Regards,

Darrin

• 9. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
                          TSGal

DarrinKing:

Thank you for the additional information.

This sounds more like a network latency issue.  Try pinging the server on a regular interval to see if there is any lapse in connection.  You may also want to try launching a browser on the server and connect directly via Web Direct.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
                            DarrinKing

Hi TSGal,

I forgot to mention we have a two server configuration, DB server and web server.  Which server should we test the web browser on?

I've done more testing this morning using a Dell laptop rather than my Windows 7 virtual machine running on my MacBook Air.  Where my Macbook Air continues to have problems, the Dell worked flawlessly in IE & Chrome for 5 minutes, save for one spinning wheel hang in Chrome.

I have my network guys do a ping test as well to see if that tells us anything. 

Dell laptop specs

Dell Precision M4700

Core i7 8GB RAM

Windows 7 Profesional SP1

Thanks,

Darrin

• 11. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
                              DarrinKing

TSGal,

I did a 5 minute ping of our web server from my MacBook Air.  Results attached.  On average the response time was well under 2 ms.  FileMaker Web Server Ping Log 5-23-16

Thanks,

Darrin

• 12. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
                                DarrinKing

TSGal,

I ran IE on the web server and it worked like a champ.  So what does all this tell us?

Regards,

Darrin

• 13. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
                                  TSGal

DarrinKing:

Since this works fine on the server, but not from your machine, it is definitely network related.

First, make sure all necessary ports are open.  Make sure any routers between the host and your machine have the necessary ports open.  For a list of ports used by FileMaker Server 15, see Knowledge Base Article #14402:

Ports used by FileMaker Server | FileMaker

Try also moving your machine to a different spot on the network so it doesn't go through the same router(s).

Have your "network guys" monitor the network when you run into the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Web direct refreshing issue
                                    DarrinKing

Hi TSGal,

I'm not so sure this is a network issue.  Some machines are working just fine.  My server admin is not having a problem on his two machines, the Dell laptop mentioned previously works fine & a browser running on the web server machine works fine.  That said, to cover our bases we did check the port configuration.  All looks correct to us.  Do you agree? 

Because some machines are working correctly we decided to test a different account on my machine.  Things worked as expected!  We then tried a Chrome incognito window and a Safari private browsing window back in my account and things worked!  This indicates a potential client side issue.  What could be causing the issue in the account?

Regards,

Darrin

1 2 Previous Next