2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 10:45 AM by nickausaus

Vertical portal / lists

nickausaus

Hi all

I'm considering using FileMaker Pro for a forecasting tool I'm working on. I need to display data in the layout shown below. Its basically like a portal but with a record displayed vertically instead of horizontally. Does anyone have experience with something similar and could recommend a good approach? Its easy to set up in Excel or Numbers, but I would like to use FMP if I can make it work.

Month 1         Month 2     Month 3     ...

Field desc 1   |  data1-1          data2-1     data3-1

Field desc 2   |  data1-2          data2-2     data3-2

Field desc 3   |  data1-3          data2-3     data3-3

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Vertical portal / lists
          siplus

You can probably profit from repeating fields, but I guess we need to know more about the real dimensions of the matrix you're trying to render and about the real data you need to represent.

• 2. Re: Vertical portal / lists
            nickausaus

Thanks siplus

The Months will be a continuous set, so 12 per year but the data will continue to grow, hence I was planning to create a table with fields:

1. Month Name

2. Field 1

3. Field 2 etc.

If I created the data in the spreadsheet equivalent, I'd need a field for each month, and the number of fields would grow with time which is not good design I believe.

I could probably create the layout with say 12 months displayed, where the user sets the start and end month.

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by repeating fields?

Thanks!