1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 5:51 AM by TSGal

Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI

Vincent_L

This is a well complained issue, when Filemaker is using a lot of CPU, it "blocks" Mac OS X Gui, by sticking frontmost. Other app can't go frontmost, Filemaker can't get in the background.

It often happens after committing database structure changes (but not only).

This bug is there for years with all Filemaker an mac os x versions since I can recall, no i just filmed it with my iPhone. Filemaker is the only mac application behaving like that. It's time filemaker became a good Mac OS X citizen

Here's the movie, I hope it will entice FMI to fix that once for all

Dropbox - Filemaker_GUI_blocking.MOV

• 1. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
          TSGal

Vincent_L:

Thank you for your post.

Although I have not encountered this issue, I do recall a customer reporting a similar issue many years ago only when Manage Database window was active.  I'm mentioning this because your video also has Manage Database window active.  The next time this occurs, please notice if Manage Database window is active, and if so, click OK or cancel to close the window, and then see if you are able to select another application.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
            Vincent_L

no it's not active because it happens after you clic ok to commit the change, then filemaker becomes busy commiting aand in responsive

• 3. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
              Benjamin Fehr

I can't replicate with Mac OSX - 10.11.*)

What is your setup?

Product and version: 

OS and version:

Hardware:

Description:

How to replicate:

Workaround:

• 4. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
                Vincent_L

Happens for years with all version of FileMaker and OS X since at least fmp

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 12 janv. 2016 à 17:37, efficientbizz <noreply@filemaker.com> a écrit :

<https://community.filemaker.com/?et=watches.email.thread> Filemaker

blocking Mac OS X GUI

réponse de efficientbizz

<https://community.filemaker.com/people/efficientbizz?et=watches.email.thread>

dans Report a Product Issue - Afficher la discussion complète

<https://community.filemaker.com/message/534486?et=watches.email.thread#534486>

• 5. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
                  Vincent_L

Just happened again, this time with ExceuteSQL in the data viewer with a super long query

So, it's not only in manage database (as I already said), this is a GENERAL problem

FMPa 14v4 & Mac OS 10.11.2 (but it alway occurred since FMP 11 at least)

Here's a new movie

Dropbox - Filemaker_GUI_blocking_FQL.MOV

I've made a "sample" of the filemaker process here it is

Dropbox - UI Blocking.txt

And by the way, afterwards, since the query took too long, I disconnected my client with FMS Web Gui (and verified with command line it was really disconnected). My client did not complain about server lost connection, I needed to force quit it.

• 6. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
                    TSGal

Vincent_L:

In both movies, I am unable to see the calculations that were being saved.

In the most recent movie, is the ExecuteSQL command being used on the local table or another table?  If the latter, is it another FileMaker table or an ESS table?  I want to verify this isn't a connection issue.

You also mentioned "I disconnected any client with FMS Web Gui (and verified with command line it was really disconnected)."  Since the file is hosted by FileMaker Server, were there any other clients connected to the database file?  If so, any client entering data into fields that were modified may lock out the changes until the client is finished.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
                      Vincent_L

1st Movie : Manage database clicked ok after some (many 10 fields, 3 TO) changes

2nd Movie : ExecuteSQL ran in data viewer

But those specific case don't matter, they're just examples, what matters is that when Filemaker has High CPU usage it will hijack the GUI by keeping frontmost (perhaps in the case of floating windows like manage database, or data viewer).

When this occurs, Filemaker is said to be unresponsive in Mac os x activity monitor.

So the equation is : Filemaker is unresponsive, then GUI will be "blocked" with Filemaker Frontmost. So if I were you, I'd look into source code, for how is it possible when you have High Cpu usage, Filemaker would block the GUI.

This shouldn't happen no matter what, connection issue or not. I'm on LAN by the way (and FMS was seeing my client, which it should not if I were disconnected).

Also, in other case, If I waited enough, then things would go back to normal, so I doubt it's a connection issue

About the executeSQL, the query was targeted to another Filemaker table (opened in background but the way), which the data viewer file had in TO

Yes they were other clients (8) connected to those table, who did not had any problem

" If so, any client entering data into fields that were modified may lock out the changes until the client is finished."

Possible, but once again it's not a reason to block the GUI by keeping filemaker frontmost

• 8. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
                        TSGal

Vincent_L:

Although I am also unable to replicate the issue, from your last post, if you have eight clients connected as you are making schema changes, it may take a long time to update, and that would be the reason why you would see this return "back to normal".

Regardless, I have forwarded your posts to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
                          Vincent_L

I d'ont care about the Filemaker taking time to do some things, nor the cause of why out takes that time, and why the CPU is pegged by FMP. The issue is not that, the issue is that Filemaker in those situations "blocks" mac os X GUI by remaining frontmost no matter what.

No program should behave like that, in fact none of them do, except Filemaker.

• 10. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
                            TSGal

Vincent_L:

Like myself, initial tests by our Testing department is unable to replicate the issue.  They would like to know more about your computing environment.  Specifically, do you have any plug-ins installed/enabled?  If so, temporarily disable them and try again.

Testing is continuing to try and replicate.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
                              TSGal

Vincent_L:

A Tester was finally able to replicate the issue by duplicating a lot of fields (2000).  FileMaker Pro remains the frontmost application until the duplication is done.  This information, along with a video, has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
                                Vincent_L

Great news,

You can also have it with very long ExecuteSQL queries, or as in video committing manage database changes on big table with many fields, and also other situations

• 13. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
                                  Vincent_L

Hi TSGal, any news on this.

It happened again and I thought about sampling the filemaker process : here it is

Dropbox - GUI_Blocking_Process_Sample.zip

• 14. Re: Filemaker blocking Mac OS X GUI
                                    TSGal

Vincent_L:

I have forwarded your sample file to Testing and Development for further review.

There is no additional information at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next