5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 8:59 AM by CamelCase_data

Duplicate Style names for same object type and theme

CamelCase_data

I was just able to accidentally get two different Button object styles in the same theme with the same name "Conflict_Button" - see screen shot attached.

OS X 10.10.5, FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.4, local file created in FileMaker 12 or 13 - theme originally created in FileMaker 13, the style in question created in FileMaker 14.

I just had this issue, and haven't had the time to try to reproduce it etc - I thought I'd see if it's a known issue before I spend time on that.

This solution consists of a few different files. The file I got the issue in (File1) had previously been duplicated to create File2. In File2, I had added the button object style Conflict_Button and created objects for it. A few days ago, I had copied some of these objects from File2 to File1, to two different layouts, but not saved the style information as a new style, so that it was Default + LocalCSS.

Today, I wanted to clean that up and saved the button object on Layout 1 in File1 it as a new style, named Conflict_Button as in File2. I flipped to Layout 2, realized I hadn't saved the changes to the theme, flipped back to Layout 1, saved to them, and then back again to Layout 2, where I now saw this odd case of two styles with the same name, with the Theme having unsaved changes.

If I go back to Layout 1, the Theme has no unsaved changes and there is only one style called Conflict_Button.

After reverting the changes to the Theme on Layout 2, I only see one Conflict_Button style, but now with unsaved changes.

• 1. Re: Duplicate Style names for same object type and theme
          Benjamin Fehr

If you rename one of the styles to 'Conflict_Button2' and save Theme, do both reappear?

This reminds me to a "conflict" when having 2 identical items in a value list, the duplicate gets suppressed.

• 2. Re: Duplicate Style names for same object type and theme
            CamelCase_data

My problem isn't that the duplicate style disappears, on the contrary - it should never have been possible to create the duplicate in the first place, since custom style names need to be unique across a theme (and not even for each given object type, which in itself has it's downsides). So I believe this is actually a bug, and not a question of a feature being designed in a way that you may or may not agree with (as is the case with the fact that value lists can only contain unique items - I'm personally fine with that, even if there are cases where you want duplicates; there are workarounds for those special cases, but that's another topic altogether).

• 3. Re: Duplicate Style names for same object type and theme
              Benjamin Fehr

I didn't check recently but in the past, you were able to create Scripts with identical names.

For Field names within a Table, FMP performs a check-for-duplicates.

Maybe FMI will consider to apply same checks for all other name-givings.

• 4. Re: Duplicate Style names for same object type and theme
                TSGal

CamelCase201507:

Thank you for your posts.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created a new database file, "File2.fmp12" with two Text fields.  The layout displays both fields.

2. I format the first field for 16 point font, save a new style "a", and save a new theme "TSGal".

3. I format the second field for Text Color blue, and attempt to save a new style "a".  I get the following screen:

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 8.50.21 AM.png

Are you able to replicate the issue with a new file?

Let me know what other steps I can take to replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Duplicate Style names for same object type and theme
                  CamelCase_data

Hi TSGal - those steps aren't even close to reproducing what I did, but thanks for trying. I was mostly wondering if this was already a know issue - I'll try to see if I can reproduce this in files created from scratch myself - in that case, I'll be able to give you details on the steps to follow.