1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 11:03 AM by Mike_Mitchell

New Installation Question

mmflaherty

Hi. I am creating a new server as our existing Windows one is not functioning properly. I have a new Mac Mini and am getting ready to install. We are currently using FileMaker Server 13. For now, I don't want to upgrade (it's in the plan for the future though).

My question is if it is okay to install FileMaker Pro Advanced 13 and FileMaker Server 13 on the same machine. I believe it is. I know that FileMaker Pro Advanced is a supported client. Which order would I do the install assuming it's okay to do so.

I'm not clear where to store my databases or how to review them if they're not on the same machine. That's why it is a single machine install, right?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: New Installation Question
          steveromig

My question is if it is okay to install FileMaker Pro Advanced 13 and FileMaker Server 13 on the same machine. I believe it is. I know that FileMaker Pro Advanced is a supported client. Which order would I do the install assuming it's okay to do so.

I'm not clear where to store my databases or how to review them if they're not on the same machine. That's why it is a single machine install, right?

Thanks!

It is OK.

You will not be able to host / share files with both of them at the same time and FileMaker Server will ultimately take over sharing of files in this scenario anyway.

Does not matter what order you install them in.

Installing both on the same machine is a common practice to be able to edits on the shared file on the same machine.  But it isn't ultimately necessary to install FileMaker Pro on a system that has FileMaker Server on it.

The storage of shared files is handled by FileMaker Server when you upload them.  And the location can be controlled somewhat from the FileMaker Server Admin Console.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New Installation Question
            mmflaherty

That is kind of what I thought but I wasn't sure. Thank you.

Fingers crossed.

• 3. Re: New Installation Question
              wimdecorte

just make sure that FMP is not running when you try to start the FMS db engine.  It will fail because FMP already has grabbed port 5003 and FMS wants that for its own hosting. In short: if you ever shut down FMS and want to launch it again, make sure FMP is not running.

• 4. Re: New Installation Question
                mmflaherty

What is the easiest way to verify that FMP is completed stopped - Task Manager? Or what would you recommend?

• 5. Re: New Installation Question
                  steveromig

What is the easiest way to verify that FMP is completed stopped - Task Manager? Or what would you recommend?

In the case of FileMaker Pro, simply quitting out of it is usually enough.  You'll know it is running if you try and install FileMaker Server.  Worst case, restart your system prior to installation to make sure that nothing is running.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: New Installation Question
                    wimdecorte

steveromig wrote:

Worst case, restart your system prior to installation to make sure that nothing is running.

Not wanting to be a hard-ass here but since this is Mac, simply restarting may not cut it if the option to "open previous..." is left on... that will launch FMP and may launch it before FMS does.  That problem does not exist on windows.

If it is running it should be visible in the doc.  Make sure to quit it from there.

• 7. Re: New Installation Question
                      steveromig

Not wanting to be a hard-ass here but since this is Mac, simply restarting may not cut it if the option to "open previous..." is left on...

Oh yeah...that  :-)

Thanks for catching that.

Steve

• 8. Re: New Installation Question
                        mmflaherty

Thanks for the great tips! Of course, I'm getting install errors. For some reason, even though I am logged in as an administrator, it says I don't have enough privileges to install. Some days even the easiest things are a struggle.

I appreciate the help! Great to know you guys are out here!!

Megan

• 9. Re: New Installation Question
                          mmflaherty

One more question for you guys - the new mac came with El Capitan on it. Can I install FileMaker Server 13? It's running through the entire process and then I'm getting an error.

error creating folder 1008:9-5000 Access denied error

Then it says not enough privileges to write the folder. I have administrative access so not sure how to increase that. I added the user name to the daemon group when I got a message on that (sudo dseditgroup -o edit -a [usernametoadd] -t user daemon.)

Any suggestions?

• 10. Re: New Installation Question
                            wimdecorte

FMS14v4 is the only truly supported version to run on El Capitan so I would stick to that and stay within support parameters.

• 11. Re: New Installation Question
                              mmflaherty

Can I run my fmp12 files? I'm trying to jump off one bridge at a time but do need to get this stuff up and running. I'm really new to FileMaker so I'm a nervous wreck.

• 12. Re: New Installation Question
                                wimdecorte

FMS14 can run your fmp12 files.  The file format has not changed...

• 13. Re: New Installation Question
                                  mmflaherty

I was reading some release notes and it looks like in order to update to FMS14.0v4 I have to also update all of my clients. I'm really in a bad spot here because I cannot do that this weekend.

Do you know anything about this? Right now my clients are running 13 v03 and v05.

• 14. Re: New Installation Question
                                    wimdecorte

Not unless you use the SSL option on FMS... othewise you're fine with the clients were they are.

The other option you have is downgrade the OS on the server back to you 10.10 Yosemite and stick to FMS13.

1 2 Previous Next