6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 2:18 PM by DanielShanahan

Hide object bug

ryantittle

Found what seem to be a bug with the Hide Object When feature. Would love to see if anyone else can reproduce this before I report it. Also, a Goggle search didn't turn anything up for me, but let me know if this is already known.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create new database.

2. Add a text object to the layout.

3. Give that object a Hide Object When calculation. (For test I simply used 1=1)

4. With that object selected, go to Button Setup via either right click or Formatting menu.

5. Add a button action (Single step or Perform script)

At this point, the Hide Object Calculation will remain visible through a tool tip, and seems to still function, but will not be viewable/editable from the specify calculation window:

Hide.png

Removing the button action does not fix the issue.

If the button action is applied before the Hide Object calculation this bug does not occur.

• 1. Re: Hide object bug
          nicolai

Can you post your specs: FM version including patch and OS?

• 2. Re: Hide object bug
            steveromig

Found what seem to be a bug with the Hide Object When feature. Would love to see if anyone else can reproduce this before I report it. Also, a Goggle search didn't turn anything up for me, but let me know if this is already known.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create new database.

2. Add a text object to the layout.

3. Give that object a Hide Object When calculation. (For test I simply used 1=1)

4. With that object selected, go to Button Setup via either right click or Formatting menu.

5. Add a button action (Single step or Perform script)

At this point, the Hide Object Calculation will remain visible through a tool tip, and seems to still function, but will not be viewable/editable from the specify calculation window:

Hide.png

Removing the button action does not fix the issue.

If the button action is applied before the Hide Object calculation this bug does not occur.

I believe this to be a known issue and technically not a bug - but that is open to individual debate.

The high level explanation for this, for better or for worse, is...

When a text object is turned into a button, the "hide object when" condition still applies to the text but not the button.  You'd still be able to see the condition calculation if you "ungrouped" the button most likely.  The implication of this is that the text has a hide condition but the button that is grouped onto it does not.  If this were actually the case then the text should disappear and the button should still be clickable but that is not how it behaves.

You can play around with ungrouping the button to which you may or may not have better success in achieving what you are trying to do.  If you want to report this - I'd go more for a usability angle that would allow you (developers) to change the hide condition on an object which has been turned into a button without having to ungroup the button to do it as that is where the true issue lies.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Hide object bug
              ryantittle

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I certainly understand what is happening now. I was viewing it as though turning into a button was changing some attribute of the text object, and did not realize it was actually grouping it with a second, kind of ethereal, button object.

I would like to perhaps report this as a request in the name of usability, but you mentioned that you believe this is a know issue. Wouldn't that make such a report redundant?

Thanks,

Ryan

• 4. Re: Hide object bug
                ryantittle

Apologies, I should have added that in the first post. I'm running Advanced 14.0.4 on Window 8.1. Although it seems Steve has already provided the answer that I needed. Thanks for your response.

• 5. Re: Hide object bug
                  steveromig

I would like to perhaps report this as a request in the name of usability, but you mentioned that you believe this is a know issue. Wouldn't that make such a report redundant?

I'd still go ahead and do it.  Can't hurt.  I'll make a note in the existing bug nevertheless.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Hide object bug
                    DanielShanahan

Why not simply use the button object instead of using a text object and making it into a button?