4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 3:26 PM by mrq

can't open file inserted into container that is optimized for interactive content

mrq

I used the "insert file" to put the .pdf file into the container, and set the field as interactive content, but when I double click on the file icon it does not open the file as I expect.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: can't open file inserted into container that is optimized for interactive content
          macwombat

For the .pdf file you have a couple of different ways to deal with it.  The interactive content method will let you interact with the pdf file in the container field.  Therefore for most pdf's you would want your container field on the layout to be quite large so that within the container field you can scroll through multiple pages of the pdf.  Make sure you store the pdf in the database (not a reference).

To double click it and open it you need to make sure you are not using the interactive content method and when you insert the file you select the option to "Store only a reference to the file."  Then you will be able to double click it and open it in a non FM window.

• 2. Re: can't open file inserted into container that is optimized for interactive content
            mrq

Chris thanks for the response.  I will take your input and try it out tomorrow. 

• 3. Re: can't open file inserted into container that is optimized for interactive content
              wimdecorte

Chris Cullen wrote:

and when you insert the file you select the option to "Store only a reference to the file." 

No, no, no, no...  emphatically: NO.

"store only a reference" will make the file unavailable to anyone else that is using the database if they don't happen to have the same absolute path to that file.  Meaning: if you insert the file from your documents folder, nobody else using the same database will be able to use it.

Only inserting the file into the container without "only a reference" will allow that.

Once a document is in a container then everybody should be able to interact with it.  It's not clear whether you expect people to be able to download it or just browse through it.  What is your expectation when you double-click it: that it opens outside of FM into the native application?

• 4. Re: can't open file inserted into container that is optimized for interactive content
                mrq

At this time I am the sole user of the data and the database, so access by

others is not the issue.  My goal is to be able to go into the individual

record, see that there is a document file attached to the that record, and

double click the file in the container and actually open the file.

I used the "store only as a reference to the file" and that now allows me

to open the file from the FM record, without having to go outside FM to the

document file that stores the original document.

In other words.....I think my issue is solved.  Thanks for the deeper

explanation - I may get to that point eventually.