8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 11:41 PM by MartinBridges

Uploading files causes crash. But only sometimes.

MartinBridges

Here's a good one. Has anyone heard anything like this?

A FM database is on a web server running FM Server 14.

I have no problems whatsoever uploading scans to a certain layout, where there are 12 container fields.

I've just done 6 tests trying to overload it and duplicate the bug.

I took between 1 and 3 minutes to drag and drop 36 scans (80kb each) over 3 records.

Sometimes I was dropping the next scan before the previous had completed. So no issues re internet speeds/connection etc.

I used a Mac (10.10.4) and tried FM Pro 12, 13 and 14

I used a pc (Windows 8) and tried FM Pro 12, 13 and 14

Now here's the conundrum. 30 miles away my client accessing the same database (up to 9 users) can cause it to freeze just by gently uploading one scan at a time. This will then have a knock on effect and cause everyone else connected to the database to freeze at some point. They will need to do a force quit. The server then requires a reboot to resolve the issue.

We have done a number of trials on site and found...

Annoyingly it only happens when they use FM 13 or 14. (ie NOT 12)

They can upload ok using FM 12 with no problems.

They are all running Windows 7

Frustratingly, it doesn't happen every time some drags and drops using FM 13 or 14. It might happen first time, they might be able to do a handful before it crashes.

Any comments gratefully received.

Martin

• 1. Re: Uploading files causes crash. But only sometimes.
          wimdecorte

What do the FMS stats.log say when this happens?  I wonder what of its counters is getting out of whack.

What version of FMS is this and what are the specs on the server?

• 2. Re: Uploading files causes crash. But only sometimes.
            MartinBridges

Evening

It happens on both fms 13 and also fms 14. The Hosting company, who have been hosting fm for over 15 years have never encountered anything like it. The logs that I've seen only suggest authentication failure. But that doesn't always mean freeze will happen.

regards

Martin

• 3. Re: Uploading files causes crash. But only sometimes.
              wimdecorte

MartinBridges wrote:

. The logs that I've seen only suggest authentication failure. But that doesn't always mean freeze will happen.

Wrong logs.  I mean that one that is named "stats.log".   It collects info about how FMS performs across the 4 traditional bottlenecks.

(It is one of the logs that you have to explicitly turn on after installing FMS.  IMHO it should be the very first thing everyone does.)

If FMS effectively freezes there should some trace of that in there and knowing which of the bottlenecks it is may lead to a workaround or a fix.

• 4. Re: Uploading files causes crash. But only sometimes.
                MartinBridges

Afternoon

I'm a novice to server. I was renting shared space. In the last month I now rent a dedicated server so I can reboot this file myself when it freezes. So would appreciate any help to find/set up this log.

It doesn't change the issue though of why can I drag/drop using FM 12, 13 and 14 with my machines from my site and they can only do it with FM12 using their machines on their site?

regards

Martin

• 5. Re: Uploading files causes crash. But only sometimes.
                  wimdecorte

MartinBridges wrote:

It doesn't change the issue though of why can I drag/drop using FM 12, 13 and 14 with my machines from my site and they can only do it with FM12 using their machines on their site?

Don't be so quick to dismiss things in your mind.  Yes: what you are seeing is very atypical.  But that means we have to cast a wide net and the only thing we can go is the numbers and the facts.  Basically anything and everything that is in the various logs.  FMS is normally a fairly stable product so if it freezes on its end there is a good change that it is leaving traces.

MartinBridges wrote:

I'm a novice to server. I was renting shared space. In the last month I now rent a dedicated server so I can reboot this file myself when it freezes. So would appreciate any help to find/set up this log.

Here's where you enable the stats log:

2016-01-10_08-59-35.png

The default is 30 seconds.  I suggest you drop it down to 15 seconds, but not below that.

You also may want to run some tests where you have a single person from a troublesome spot do the insert and monitor it with the admin console open and on this tab (which will produce a new log file named "clients.log) - it only does that when you are on that tab and tell it to)

2016-01-10_09-03-11.png

Also can you give us the full spec on the server (apologies if you did before):

- is this a physical box or a virtual one?

- if virtual: how many virtual cores assigned and at what speed

- if physical: what is the make and model of the box, what CPUs are in there

- how much memory

- what is the size and nature of the disk i/o: are we talking fibre-channel SAN for a virtual machine

- if physical: what is the size of the disk and its speed (and nature, Mac Mini with 5400 rpm disks or high-class server with SATA 15,000 rpm or SSDs?)

I am still very surprised that any client activity like this would bring down server.  Especially when it does not for older clients but does for newer clients.

I strongly suggest that you get a crash course on FMS and all of its options.  It's one of my pet pieves:

Development vs. Deployment - Soliant Consulting

You have a fairly complex deployment and the deployment as much as the design of your solution is going to dictate how happy your clients are going to be...

As a complete "out of left field" alternative: can you let people drag and drop into global fields (those are local by nature) then use "export field contents" and "insert file" to have more control over the process, perhaps build in some delays, etc.

• 6. Re: Uploading files causes crash. But only sometimes.
                    stephensexton

I saw the same issue on several occasions with several customers in the past... much less now that the majority of my customers are updated to 14v4.  Looking back at my notes, it appeared most common under 13v9 with Mavericks, but also with other versions.  My notes seemed to indicate that in situations where I didn't just update everything, some apparent fixes occurred after deleting two adobe plug-ins from "Macintosh HD > Library > Internet Plug-ins" (via a tip from this forum).  Sorry that I can't offer more technical reasoning for this (esp. with regards to server crash), but deleting the adobe plug-ins or updating to 14v4 are the two changes that seemed to correlate with a fix in my case.  In some cases, it was only FileMaker Pro that crashed, but in others, FileMaker Server also crashed (possibly only in instances where customers had been using the server as a work station (not dedicated)).  I hope this helps.

• 7. Re: Uploading files causes crash. But only sometimes.
                      MartinBridges

Thanks for the comprehensive help. This has already been set up. So I'll collate the spec and try your tests next time I'm on site and get back to you.

regards

Martin

• 8. Re: Uploading files causes crash. But only sometimes.
                        MartinBridges

Thanks Stephen

I'm still assuming it's a software conflict on their machines. As I can use all versions of Pro (12, 13 & 14) on Macs or PCs here.

Annoyingly it's the later versions of FM Pro (13 and 14) that cause their crashes. So they have rolled back to FM 12.0v4 on Windows 7 and are very happy. However I don't see that as a long therm solution.

I'll get all the server details and logs requested above next time I'm on site and get back to you all if I may.

regards

Martin