I have had a few (maybe 4 customers in total so far) that have now reported to me that FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Go is displaying an "Access Denied" or no privileges error seemingly randomly occurring during their use of the program.
It can occur anywhere between 0 and 5 times per day, and the only way to return to normal function is to quit the application and reopen the files. All customers are using the same solution, but any customer that has experienced this error have recently updated to FileMaker Server 14v4. All other customers using this solution appear unaffected.
- The customer typically looks back to the solution (brings it to the front or clicks somewhere), and some fields on the layout display <No Access>
- Any clicks on any field or button will then display an "Access Denied" error... the solution appears totally locked.
- The fields that display <No Access> appear totally random (no common factor - they could be mismatch of local or related fields, some calcs, some plain text or number fields), while other fields on the same layout display the fields correctly
Other observations so far:
- One of the customers is also receiving the error on computers using FileMaker Pro 12 (hosted by server 14v4), but this FMP version is not used by the other affected customers.
- It is occurring in different privilege sets
- Energy Saver settings appear ok with the computers set to never sleep
- fmreatuthenticate settings do not appear to be a factor based on the security settings (not relevant to privilege sets being used or client app version)
- It seems to occur on any OS so far (Windows, Mac OS X 10.10.5, Mac OS X 10.11.2, and iOS 9+)
- It seems to be occurring less often and easier to resolve for one customer after they updated to OS X El Capitan and I reinstalled FMS14v4
- I have not had the error reported by any customers using earlier versions of FileMaker Server, including FMS 14v1 to 14v3
- The error also appears on my own development machine (Mac OS X 10.11.2, FMS 14v4, FMP 14v4)
- It seems to present most commonly after a possible idle period or when returning to FileMaker from another application, but I can't be certain of this (it only occurs once or twice on my computer per day, and other customers tend to be quickly quit and reopen FileMaker to resolve).
- Evidence so far doesn't seem to show any consistency with respect to the window that is open at the time of the error.
On my own machine, I reverted to a much older version of the interface file (in a solution using separation model) and also completed a consistency check and recovery on the current version of the interface file to look for potential errors in the file that would have been sent to my customers, but no errors were uncovered, and when uploaded to FMS 14v4, both interface files were still affected by the same error. The same problem has also occurred once on a totally separate FileMaker solution.
As above, the only common pattern I can see is that all affected customers have updated to FMS 14v4, but it occurred for at least one of those customers while they were still using Mac OS X 10.10.5. Other client connections are being affected (iPad, Windows, Mac clients) and the solution itself doesn't appear to be the problem.
I'm dying to know if anyone else is seeing this, and if anyone has an answer to this issue!?
Cheers, Stephen Sexton