3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 6:54 AM by jjfcpa

Optional Lookup for field

jjfcpa

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times so please forgive the duplication.

There are only two tables (thus far):

LabelSets

Addresses  ( three fields:  _ID, desc and address)

I have a LabelSets table that I the user enters addresses in or, alternatively, lookup addresses from the addresses table.  Instead of just ONE field, there are actually 4 or more addresses that need to be filled out or looked up.  The addresses are used to create "label sets" for printing.  This is for printing labels for tax return preparation.  What you generally need to do is print mailing address labels, return address labels, and perhaps extension or estimate labels if you need to file these forms.  Rather than use Word to print these, I'm creating an FM solution that will be much more flexible and faster.

There is no reason for a permanent link between the addresses in the LabelSets and the Addresses table.

I do some programming in XOJO and what I would do there is just put a button next each address on the LabelSets window and use it to popup another window where they can scroll through, add or select an address that then populates the address field on the LabelSets window.  Of course, instead of looking up an address, they can enter it for those one-off occasions when the address won't be used again.

Would this be the same general procedure to use with FM or is there a better way or alternative way?

• 1. Re: Optional Lookup for field
          DanielShanahan

Its not clear to me why you need the table LabelSet.  You can create multiple layouts for each table.

• 2. Re: Optional Lookup for field
            Mike_Mitchell

You can do it either way. You can use an addresses table with something recognizable (name / address) and use a pull-down or popup with lookups to all the relevant fields, or you can create a popover that has a portal in it. The portal would point to a Virtual List holding a list of available addresses, then script everything. The former is easier, but has some constraints (pull-down means the key field is exposed; popup menus don't work so well with lots of records). The latter is harder to code, but vastly more flexible.

HTH

Mike

• 3. Re: Optional Lookup for field
              jjfcpa

Daniel

The import thing to note here is that what happens when the user presses the Print button, it will print all the labels specified in the label set so you don't have to print two of this label, then one of this label, then 4 of this label.  Sometimes, you have to print as many as 20 labels for a single tax return.  This allows you to create a set for just that client and change it very quickly, then print them all at once.

Mike

I never thought of a popover, but I think the first option you suggested would be the easiest and at this point, I need to get it done. 

Thanks for the suggestions.