AnsweredAssumed Answered

"Service Accounts" For External Data Sources?

Question asked by ByteTheBullet on Jan 13, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 by ByteTheBullet

I'm wondering if there's a way to assign a specific set of credentials to be used when accessing a remote FileMaker data source, much like how a system DSN can store a set of credentials to use when accessing an ODBC data source.

We're working a number of solutions that are modular in nature, and I was hoping to be able to use one, low-permission account to read and/or write data from a given remote data source, instead of using the current user's credentials to access that remote data source. While I'm pretty sure I accomplish more-or-less the same thing via duplicating all of the Active Directory groups that are current used, and just changing what permissions they have from file to file (and probably adding a few more groups to differentiate users that should have more access in one file than another), I'd much prefer to set up a FileMaker native account that only has the exact permissions I need it to have.

Does anyone one have any suggestions or advice on how something like this could be set up?

Thanks!

Outcomes