3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2016 4:20 AM by Peter Wagemans

fmserverd XPC_ERROR

pfroelicher

Hi everybody

I run FMS14.04 on El Capitan 10.11.2.. all the latest.

I have everything except OBDC running on the machine and all works, the server is not overloaded, the log files don't grow... everything is smooth.. but I get zillions of these messages:

The server runs normally, but my console shows

1/13/16 7:01:21.488 PM fmserverd[553]: LaunchServices: received XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INTERRUPTED trying to map database

and

1/13/16 7:10:21.346 PM fmserverd[553]: LaunchServices: Database mapping failed with result -10822, retrying

There is another (not answered) problem report with a similar problem here.. .but it gives no clue.

FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?

Any suggestions.

Yours

Pierre

• 1. Re: fmserverd XPC_ERROR
          TSGal

pfroelicher:

Thank you for your post.

These errors, although appearing lots of times, should not affect FileMaker Server.  This was introduced in Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).  I have found at least one discussion on the Apple forum about this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7263229?start=0&tstart=0

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue, and they are working with Apple to find a resolution.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: fmserverd XPC_ERROR
            Peter Wagemans

I have this error with about every new FMS 14 installation I've done so far on El Capitan.

Finally found something that keeps the system log from flooding.

I'm not really sure if it's the right thing to do, but at least I don't see the flooding anymore, and FileMaker Server acts like it did before.

Step 1. Enable root.

I do this by going into Directory Utility via de users & groups control panel->Login Options->(authenticate)->Edit Network Account Server->Open Directory Uility. I can never remember the path of that app.

Once the Utility has started authenticate yet again and you'll have a "Enable Root User" somewhere in the "Edit" Menu.

Give it some password, you'll need this afterwards so try to remember it.

Step 2. Start terminal

Step 3. Stop FIleMaker Server completely

I do this using "sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms"

We want to stop the helper daemon as well, so it has to be done this way.

Wait for all fmserver processes to stop, you can monitor it using the Activity monitor. Use "All Processes" and search for "fmserver" in the window toolbar. There are sometimes some OSX "housekeeping" processes that continue to run under the fmserver account after you stop fmserver_helperd, don't worry about them and keep them running.

Step 4. Change to the fmserver account by doing this in terminal:

mbpro:~ peter$ su

Password:

The su command changes you to root, use the password you've entered earlier for root

sh-3.2# su fmserver

From root we can su to fmserver without giving a password

bash-3.2$ whoami

fmserver

If you did everything right you now have a terminal session open as the user fmserver.

bash-3.2$ cd /Library/FileMaker\ Server/Database\ Server/bin

bash-3.2$ ./fmserver_helperd -d

Change to the bin directory of FileMaker Server and start fmserver_helperd.

The console XPC errors should not appear anymore.

The terminal keeps displaying some output that I think would normally go to /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/stdout and /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/stderr but I do not care for that much. Maybe a good idea to keep it open and minimize the window.

I don't know why this works, but it works. Maybe it gives some insight on where the XPC error problem originates, it appears to be an El Capitan issue for which Apple's fix is long overdue now.

• 3. Re: fmserverd XPC_ERROR
              Peter Wagemans

This is probably better then just starting it up:

./fmserver_helperd -d >> /Library/FileMaker\ Server/Logs/stdout 2>> /Library/FileMaker\ Server/Logs/stderr &

It redirects the output to the standard files and the ampersand in the end liberates the terminal.