7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 3:17 AM by mobilesimmo

SMTP Mail from FM Server

bnevill

I am having difficulty with SMTP mail on FM Server. It appears that it does not support a calculated field in the address field of the email.

I can type a specific email address and mail will send but with a calculation of a Field Reference it won't.

Anyone else experienced this or anyone got some insights?

• 1. Re: SMTP Mail from FM Server
          mobilesimmo

Could you provide a little more detail? I use SMTP on FM Server quite a lot, and have not had any problems with calc fields in the address, subject and body fields. What's the actual calculation you are trying to use?

Cheers

Robin

• 2. Re: SMTP Mail from FM Server
            monkeybreadsoftware

For more than the basics I would switch to use a plugin like the MBS Plugin.

We have a couple of email command which allow you to build emails and have several attachments from containers or files and get text encodings right for non english emails.

Monkeybread Software - MBS Filemaker Plugin: Component: SendMail

• 3. Re: SMTP Mail from FM Server
              bnevill

Thanks for the response

Basically just a concatenation of several email address fields from a

database.

• 4. Re: SMTP Mail from FM Server
                mobilesimmo

Could you post the actual calculation? It might help. For example, are you using commas or spaces or semi-colons between the addresses? What platform does the mail server run on?

Cheers

Robin

• 5. Re: SMTP Mail from FM Server
                  bnevill

Hi

Thanks for your interest

It is simply a field reference

FAMILY DATA::Correspond_Email

Bruce

• 6. Re: SMTP Mail from FM Server
                    mobilesimmo

Thanks, Bruce

I am interested in the actual contents of the field at run-time - or the formula or script steps that populates the data in that field.

The reason is that in my experience, the only reason that the SMTP send script step would fail with a field name in the To: parameter is that the contents of the field you are supplying is malformed in some way - for example, a leading or trailing space, a comma instead of a semi-colon between each of the addresses, etc. Note that the SMTP Dialog expects either semi-colons or Return characters between the To: addresses if there is more than one: see Sending one email message in FileMaker Help. If you supply text then it should be in double quotes (to signify it is a text constant) but if you supply a field name, the field should NOT contain quotes around the email addresses.

Have you looked at the Server log files around the time it fails? If the SMTP call is failing there will be an error message - probably one with a code in the range 1501 - SMTP authentication failed and 1507 - unable to login to the SMTP server.

You mention in your original post "I can type a specific email address and mail will send" - but that sounds like you are using the email Client on your PC to test it rather than the send via SMTP server script step: the Client email send and the SMTP send are two very different beasts. Can you clarify which one you are using?

Cheers

Robin

• 7. Re: SMTP Mail from FM Server
                      mobilesimmo

If you find it is actually a 1506 error - Email message(s) could not be sent successfully - then you might find the post by LeeLukehart in this Forum thread useful:

Error 1506 when using Send Mail script step with an SMTP server

As well as a discussion of what can cause problems with email addresses in the SMTP send, it contains a sample database to test your SMTP server to try to figure out which email address format your email server expects (the problem relates to the <name> or (name) part of an email address (e.g. <Robin Simpson> simmo@me.com) which some SMTP servers (e.g. Lotus Notes, Gmail) can't handle properly

Cheers

Robin