9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 7:45 PM by philmodjunk

Call for DIGFM Speakers

eric

DIGFM (Database Interest Group for FileMaker, DIGFM.org) meets in Santa Clara at FileMaker Inc. headquarters the second Thursday of the month from 7-9.

If you are interested in speaking, please let me know by private message what you would like to present and which dates you have available.
      We have the following dates available for speakers this year:

Thu, 03/10/2016

Thu, 04/14/2016

Thu, 05/12/2016

Thu, 06/09/2016

Thu, 07/14/2016

Thu, 09/08/2016

Thu, 10/13/2016

Thu, 11/10/2016

Thu, 12/08/2016

• 1. Re: Call for DIGFM Speakers
          philmodjunk

Hi Eric,

I've meant to post this months ago:

I have a presentation in mind titled "how brittle is your database?"

The long version can discuss both issues arising from user initiated changes and developer initiated changes. In both cases, a "brittle" feature is something that breaks when change occurs and requires a design change to fix. A flexible alternative would either continue to work or require only a data entry task to fix.

A shorter version could cover just developer initiated changes or even just how to use executeSQL in a flexible fashion.

• 2. Re: Call for DIGFM Speakers
            wimdecorte

Is the group set up for remote speakers?

What are some of the topics that the group wants?

• 3. Re: Call for DIGFM Speakers
              beverly

try this, Wim:

Past meetings portal

(it's time to update this site to WD, eric!!)

They should have remote capabilities. Though part of the DigFM experience is the trip to the wedge and meeting the great people in the group.

beverly

p.s. I'm one of the cofounders a long long time ago.

• 4. Re: Call for DIGFM Speakers
                eric

Hi Phil,

Thank you for responding. That sounds like a great topic.

Will you be able to cover a whole meeting (~100 minutes) with that topic?

Since you are a regular attender,

would you prefer booking an upcoming meeting date now

or would you be okay with holding your presentation in reserve, with one-week notice, for when we don't have an outside speaker?

It's probable you'd be speaking in one of the remaining months in 2016.

i have a session topic I'm keeping in reserve so that we will have a speaker on one of those months we don't have a speaker.

• 5. Re: Call for DIGFM Speakers
                  eric

Wim!

Yes, we can accommodate remote speakers; we've done that a couple times, once this year.

But aren't you looking for an excuse to visit FileMaker, Inc. headquarters in Santa Clara, where you can see a crowd of smiling, adoring fans who would love to see you in person? :-)

What month after September (2nd Thursdays, 7:00pm) would interest you?

• 6. Re: Call for DIGFM Speakers
                    eric

beverly wrote:

try this, Wim:

Past meetings portal

(it's time to update this site to WD, eric!!)

I wholeheartedly agree, Beverly!

FMGateway is retiring their hosting business which (was has been very gracious by sponsoring us). They don't have WebDirect, but I'm in the process of getting a new sponsor for DIGFM.org.
                    You can also get to the site using an 11 client: fmp7://26.fmgateway.com/DIGFM

Once we get set up with our new sponsor, this client access will also upgrade.

• 7. Re: Call for DIGFM Speakers
                      philmodjunk

Will you be able to cover a whole meeting (~100 minutes) with that topic?

Easily. .The hard part is trimming it down to fit the alloted time, but 100 minutes wouldn't need a lot of trimming. The real question is whether some of the info might be too "beginner level" so if neeeded, I would "Skim" that section and then this takes less time.

would you prefer booking an upcoming meeting date now or would you be okay with holding your presentation in reserve, with one-week notice, for when we don't have an outside speaker?

I can be flexible, but this post was to see if you still needed speakers and were interested in this topic. Let me put together at least a draft of a full up presentation on the topic with sample files/slides etc and then check back with you. I didn't want to invest the time in doing that unless there was a good chance that you could take advantage of what I had to offer here.

• 8. Re: Call for DIGFM Speakers
                        eric

Phil,
                        If you are flexible, then I propose having your presentation in reserve between October and March, March being the very latest so it doesn't get too stale. Does that work for you?

On the other hand, if you are considering proposing your presentation for the next DevCon, I see they start accepting proposals as early as mid-November, meaning you might be interested in testing it out in the October or November meeting.

DevCon 2016: Request for Proposals

• 9. Re: Call for DIGFM Speakers
                          philmodjunk

October or November looks very reasonable. But let me actually put together some presentation materials before we make a firm commitment towards any one date.

Sent from my iPad