6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 2:01 PM by TSGal

Printing/PDF from interactive content (PDF) in Container with overlay of FileMaker fields

nutsonshells

Hi There,

Case:

I am trying to create a database for incoming invoices.

Invoice arrives as PDF by email and is dropped into a interactive content container field.

Each invoice needs to be coded and I have created a number of fields in Filemaker in the same record as the invoice container field.

Now I want to either Print or PDF the invoice from the container field with an overlay of my coding fields.

Problem A:

I created a layout with just the container field on it in A4 size but when I go in Preview mode, the PDF doesn't show and doesn't print or PDF, I just get a white screen. It does show in Browse mode, but the PDF is not resizing to the container field size, even though the field settings say "Reduce image to fit"

Problem B:

When I overlay the coding fields, they won't show in browse mode. I made sure I have stacked them in front of the container field.

When I go in Preview mode, I can see my coding fields, but the PDF is not showing, just blank.

I have read a lot of forums, but I can't find a solution for this. I have previously insert PDFs in a layout and added fields on top, but I can't do this, since the PDF is not a form but an invoice, so I need to use a Container.

Anybody an idea how I can solve this problem?

Thanks

kind regards

Regine

• 1. Re: Printing/PDF from interactive content (PDF) in Container with overlay of FileMaker fields
          TSGal

nutsonshells:

Thank you for your post.

Problem A:

Create a new layout and place the Container field on the new layout.  The Container field doesn't have to be full size.  If there is a specific record with the issue, find that specific record.  Then, go to Preview.  Does the Container field information display?  If so, then return to the original layout, remove the Container field, and add a new instance of the Container field on the layout.  Does this display?  If not, then the layout may be damaged.  Use the new layout.

Problem B:

This may be related to Problem A, as the PDF is not showing.  If the new layout shows the PDF file, then add the "coding" fields to the new layout.

Keep me posted with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Printing/PDF from interactive content (PDF) in Container with overlay of FileMaker fields
            nutsonshells

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for your response.

I think it has to do with my computer. I tried a new layout and even a brand new database with just a container field, but it doesn't show it in Preview mode.

I have Windows 7 with Acrobat Professional 7 (I know quite an old version), but also have Acrobat Reader DC installed. Any tips if I can remove or change anything to make it work?

Thanks

Kind regards

Regine

• 3. Re: Printing/PDF from interactive content (PDF) in Container with overlay of FileMaker fields
              nutsonshells

Hi TSGal,

I have tried the database on a Mac and I had no issue at all viewing the PDFs in Preview mode. So it is not a database issue, but related to the software on the Windows PC.

Since all the computers that will use the database are on Windows I need to find a solution for this problem.

I read somewhere that Filemaker uses whatever is used by Internet Explorer. I checked the Add-ons and enabled all the Adobe PDF add-ons. I also changed the default to use Adobe Reader DC, since this is what all other users will have installed, but still no luck.

I also tried the opposite, disabling all Acrobat PDF extensions, but doesn't work either.

Next I tried uninstalling Adobe Acrobat DC and I couldn't view the PDF even in browse mode. So, I know now, it uses Adobe Acrobat DC (not Adobe Acrobat Professional). I also tried installing the earlier version Adobe Acrobat 11, but no luck either, I can see the PDF in browse mode, but not in Preview mode.

Seems like Filemaker 14 and Adobe Acrobat Reader are not working together on Windows?

Any idea how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Regine

• 4. Re: Printing/PDF from interactive content (PDF) in Container with overlay of FileMaker fields
                TSGal

nutsonshells:

Thank you for the additional information.

FileMaker uses the operating system WebKit to display information in Container fields (and WebViewers).  For Windows, this is modeled after Internet Explorer, and for Mac, Safari.  Also keep in mind that Mac OS X displays PDFs natively.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of PDF content not displaying in Preview or Print under Windows.  I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

One possible workaround is to insert the PDF as an image under Mac, as this would then be able to be viewed on Windows.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Printing/PDF from interactive content (PDF) in Container with overlay of FileMaker fields
                  nutsonshells

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately the Mac computer was my private computer. We do not have any Mac's in the office.

Is there any time frame when this issue will be fixed?

Thanks

Kind regards

Regine

• 6. Re: Printing/PDF from interactive content (PDF) in Container with overlay of FileMaker fields
                    TSGal

RegineEndres:

There is no time frame given.  FileMaker, Inc. does not discuss future releases.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.