WebDirect Launch Center Icons Disappear On Some Windows 7 Machines

richardcarlton

Product and Version:  FileMaker Server 14.0.413 and WebDirect

OS and Version: Server — Windows Server 2012R2  Webdirect — See “TESTING”

Browser and Version — See “TESTING”

Hardware: Server— Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Intel Xeon x5670@2.93ghz (Dual core)

4GB RAM 

Description: When entering the direct IP address to the WebDirect Launch Center ( [IP]/fmi/webd/ ), the icons display for about .5 seconds then disappear from the launch center and displays a loading screen indefinitely. This issue also happens when we use the full url to the database file ( [IP]/fmi/webd/[filename.fmp12] ).

We tested this deployment on a single deployment of FM Server 14.0.2.  After I was suggested to upgrade the server to 14.0.4a I performed all the subsequent updates and we still ran into the same issues. 

I was then suggested to completely reinstall, redeploy and perform all subsequent updates using the “new” 14.0.4 update file on the FileMaker Inc. website.  To do this, I requested the client rebuild the windows VM as well.

Workaround: Entering the direct IP address to the WebDirect Launch Center, then “/“ any gibberish will pull an error.  Once you dismiss this error, you will be able to access the Launch Center AND the files within the Launch Center. Example —   ( [IP]/fmi/webd/adfjasdfjhadf )

We have a video recording of the issue happening here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b50azpveiay66od/WebDiredt_Bug.mov?dl=0

TESTING

The following are some of the scenarios of operating system and browser version we’ve tested with:

Windows 10 — Working perfectly fine

• IE 11
      • Chrome 47

Windows 8.1 — Working perfectly fine

• IE 11
      • Chrome 47

Windows 7

• IE 11
        • DID NOT WORK
      • Installed IE 8 then Upgraded to IE 9
        • WORKED
      • Upgraded to IE 10
        • DID NOT WORK
      • Downgraded back to 9
        • WORKED
      • Chrome 47
        • DID NOT WORK

Windows 7

• IE 9
        • WORKED
      • IE 10
        • WORKED
      • IE 11
        • WORKED
      • Chrome 47
        • WORKED

Windows 7

• IE 9
        • WORKED
      • Chrome 47
        • WORKED

Windows 7

• IE 11
        • DID NOT WORK
      • Downgraded to IE 8 and upgraded to IE 10
        • DID NOT WORK
      • Downgraded to IE 8 and upgraded to IE 9
        • WORKED
      • Chrome 47 w/ IE 10 Installed
        • DID NOT WORK
      • Chrome 47 w/ IE 9 installed
        • WORKED
        • 1. Re: WebDirect Launch Center Icons Disappear On Some Windows 7 Machines
          tbarnouw

Having the exact same issue in our dev environment and it is preventing my upgrade of our production server to Server 14. Thanks for posting details. You list several Windows 7 scenarios, some that work and some that don't. I assume this is part of the mystery for you? Some client workstations are experiencing the issue and some are not? Very eager to find resolution.

• 2. Re: WebDirect Launch Center Icons Disappear On Some Windows 7 Machines
            richardcarlton

Yes.   This isn't Good.  FMI want us to take this product serious... but it has to be reliable.  I was rolling this out in front of a fortune 500 customer....and it doesn't work.  I have put so much time into trying to fix web direct... my company is actually loosing money on this project.   OUCH.

If I loose money on a technology... then I don't use it.  

Or I have to adjust my Quotes...and double my hourly rate if they want WebDirect.

Maybe just a WebDirect Surcharge...

$30,000 project with an extra $30,00 surcharge for the pain of dealing with WebDirect.

If you just use GO or Pro... on 30K.   Sounds about right.

- RC

• 3. Re: WebDirect Launch Center Icons Disappear On Some Windows 7 Machines
              TSGal

richardcarlton:

Thank you for your posts and detailed information.

Neither myself nor another Support Technician has been able to replicate this issue under Windows 7 using both Internet Explorer 11 and Chrome 47.  The file icons always display.

Have you been able to determine the differences between the working and non-working WebDirect Windows 7 computers?  Were all Windows 7 machines running with the same applications open (try with now other applications running)?  Have you run a System Information on each machine (working and non-working)?

Regardless, your complete post and video has been forwarded to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.