AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problem caused by identical contacts

Question asked by mz5005 on Jan 16, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 16, 2016 by mz5005

We have sales people (Account Managers) . The contacts of our AM's are uploaded in the system. AM's can have the same contact. The system recognizes  that and attaches the same ID to this contact but with a different AM code. So far so good.

However, the problem arises when we want to e-mail our company contacts. Of course we don't want to send multiple mails to the same contact. The whole system uses the ID number as basis, so also for our e-mail selection.

Tried to attach a tag number to each record (so that i could un-double, but that doesn't work (of course-stupid me) because the ID is the basis,

so you can't delete (for example) just 2 of the  3 occurrences.

I can think of only 2 possible solutions (but i am just an amateur :-)

1. Save the contents of the mailing records to a separate file (without any relationships) and un-double that and use that file as a basis for the mailing.

2. Find a way to attach a number for each LINE (not record) so that you can un-double that. (the numbers are not double but can be deleted for the double items and therefore you can select un-doubled records). Problem: I don't know how to do that (how to avoid the record/ID trap).

Because 1 is a lot of work (not in itself, but many scripts related to mailings would need to be changed then),

Q1: is there any better way than 1 or 2?

Q2: if not, is option 2 possible at all and if so, how to do that?

Any insight highly appreciated! Thanks.

Outcomes