2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 4:16 PM by ibrahim_bittar

FileMaker 14 compatibility with Dot Matrix printer

cmartinson

Hello FileMaker community. I currently have FileMaker 14 and am looking to print invoices out of the CRM. I need to use a Dot Matrix printer and wanted to know which printer is compatible with FileMaker. Please help me out! Which Dot Matrix printer works best with FileMaker 14.

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: FileMaker 14 compatibility with Dot Matrix printer
          steveromig

Hello FileMaker community. I currently have FileMaker 14 and am looking to print invoices out of the CRM. I need to use a Dot Matrix printer and wanted to know which printer is compatible with FileMaker. Please help me out! Which Dot Matrix printer works best with FileMaker 14.

Thanks!!!

This questions has a couple of different answers...

The first answer is, as long as the printer is supported by your OS then FileMaker should be able to use it.  A compatible and update-to-date printer driver is VERY important in determining the level of success you will have with FileMaker Pro.

The other part of the answer is that FileMaker layouts can be very graphic intensive and therefore may not print well with a "dot-matrix" printer.  If the layout is on the simpler size and is designed for the capabilities of a "dot-matrix" printer then things should be OK.  But if your layout is complex, one could expect issues when printing to a dot-matrix printer.

Perhaps others can chime in about specific makes and models then have had positive (or negative) results with.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 14 compatibility with Dot Matrix printer
            ibrahim_bittar

In a nutshell: FM doesn't play well without matrix printers.

The thing is uneven resolution in X and y axes. Usually dot matrix printers have resolutions like 80 x 160 or such and FileMaker is a graphic application. All its output is based on even resolution.

When you print to a dot matrix printer everything shows distorted and the closest you can get to a text output is to use a monospaced font like courier and do a lot of testing with font size and line height until you achieve what you want. Don't expect to obtain "What you see is what you get", not with dot matrix.

If you can, stay away from those devil's creations...