6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 8:26 AM by wimgrandia

Exporting to one excel file

wimgrandia

Hi,

I have one table that has 5 fields. I would like to make an export of a find that shows all the records that have a particular value in the lets say first field. The export to excel should then only export field 1, 2 and 3 of this find.

Then i would like to do a second find that shows all the records that have a particular value in the first field but also a particular value in the 4th field. I then would like to make an export to excel only exporting field 3,4 and 5.

I have this working and at the moment this gives me 2 different excel files. Is it possible to make one export to excel with both finds in it?

thanks!

• 1. Re: Exporting to one excel file
          beverly

will this have 5 columns in the final or are the two finds overlapped:

records with 1, 2, 3 (in first find)

records with 3, 4, 5 (in second find)

?

beverly

• 2. Re: Exporting to one excel file
            wimgrandia

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not a native speaker so bare with me...

The final excel file will have 3 columns with in the first rows (depending on how many records qualified to the search) the values from 1, 2, 3 and in the following rows the values from 3,4,5. So the data from field 5 for instance will be placed in the third column.

• 3. Re: Exporting to one excel file
              wimgrandia

Like this:

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 16.51.40.png

• 4. Re: Exporting to one excel file
                Abingdon

It may be worth investigating creating a new 'Export' table, with three fields in it.  Your two finds would be used to provide the data source for importing data into the Export table, mapping the fields accordingly.  You would then be left with a new set of records with the data residing in these three fields.  Then export this data.

As long as each of the finds always populates each of the three 'new' fields you should be left with a set of data to export without any empty data in any of the fields.

Worth a thought maybe?

• 5. Re: Exporting to one excel file
                  beverly

Yes, I've been pondering this as well and believe I was trying to come up with some sort of virtual list/table using the two different finds and then pushing values into the correct columns. This would be exportable.

That or ExecuteSQL (with UNION of the two different finds) and the contents of the field would need to be exported in a way to make .csv or .tab/.txt (tab-delimited) that Excel could open.

beverly

• 6. Re: Exporting to one excel file
                    wimgrandia

Ok... Thanks! I was hoping you wouldn't say "coming up with some sort of virtual list"...

I think i will keep exporting three different excels files and copy and paste them by hand t one file...