2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 2:43 AM by aetherington

Issues with Calculated field being used in Value List

aetherington

Good morning All.

Hopefully I can explain this in a way that makes sense.

I currently have 2 Fields.  Field A gets its data from An online source (Via xml import) and is calculated into a list of values.  Field B is a drop-down with its value set to load from field A.  None of the fields are set as Globals.

The issue I am having, Is that the values in the drop down are being pulled from EVERY record's Field A not just the record its browsing.  Is this the expected behaviour? and if so is there a work around. 

If its not, what could be happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

• 1. Re: Issues with Calculated field being used in Value List
          Mike_Mitchell

Yes, this is expected behavior (assuming your value list is set to fetch "all values").

I'm not sure what you mean by "just the record browsing" (would that be just one value?). However, the basic method for filtering a value list is to create a relationship to the target table and use "related values" in the value list setup.

Maybe if you describe in more detail what you're trying to do, we can offer more specific advice.

• 2. Re: Issues with Calculated field being used in Value List
            aetherington

What I am trying to achieve is a dynamic drop-down of Symptom codes for a product.  Say I have 10 records, each of them contain a different serial number.  The serial number is sent off to a 3rd party API which returns a different list of Symptom codes based on the serial number.  Symptom codes are placed into a hidden field which autocalulates the value to switch it from the Pipe separated list to a Value list,  This is all working as expected.  Its just the behavior above that I had issues with,  I only want the drop down to show values that relate to its serial number not all serial numbers.

I think your correct that I will need to create a "Self Join" relationship and grab the values from the 2nd database.  I will give this a go now.  Thank you Mike.