4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 1:22 PM by SamaraAster

Server and connections query

SamaraAster

I'm still unclear about 'connections' with  Filemaker Server after reading quite a bit about them.  I'd like to purchase the Server and upload a number of different databases to it.  Am I only able to have 1 connection at a time for all my databases / files hosted on the server, or is it 1 connection per database / file hosted on my server?  Basically, I have a unique database for each of my clients, and I'm wondering if they each need their own connection or if I can get away with just 1.  Traffic is light on these databases, so they aren't accessed all the time or even everyday.  The chance of 2 clients looking at their databases at the same time is pretty minimal. Thanks so much! 

• 1. Re: Server and connections query
          steveromig

Samara Aster wrote:

I'm still unclear about 'connections' with  Filemaker Server after reading quite a bit about them.  I'd like to purchase the Server and upload a number of different databases to it.  Am I only able to have 1 connection at a time for all my databases / files hosted on the server, or is it 1 connection per database / file hosted on my server?  Basically, I have a unique database for each of my clients, and I'm wondering if they each need their own connection or if I can get away with just 1.  Traffic is light on these databases, so they aren't accessed all the time or even everyday.  The chance of 2 clients looking at their databases at the same time is pretty minimal. Thanks so much!

It is one connection for the entire server. 

But you are not limited by that.  You will need to buy additional concurrent connections for the amount of users you think will be connected at any one time.

So it really depends on if they are going to be online at the same time or not.  If they aren't, then you could get by with the one (1) connection.  But if they are, then you would need to buy additional concurrent connections.  It sounds like, you could get by with an additional 5-pack of concurrent licenses if this proves to be an issue.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Server and connections query
            SamaraAster

Thanks, Steve.  That makes sense.  It would be unlikely that multiple

clients would be accessing their databases at the same time, but not

impossible, so sounds like 5 connections would be most suitable.

Appreciate your feedback!

• 3. Re: Server and connections query
              fitch

Concurrent connections only apply to FileMaker Go and WebDirect clients. You don't have to buy connections if your users are using FileMaker Pro. I.e., as stated in the FileMaker Training Series:

Free clients require a paid connection for access to FileMaker Server, while paid clients have free access to FileMaker Server.

• 4. Re: Server and connections query
                SamaraAster

Thanks, Tom.  My users aren't filemaker pro users, they would be accessing

via FMGo or webdirect, so think I need multiple connections.  Thanks!