1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 10:21 AM by tcfitzgerald

Import Records (ODBC Data Source) Credentials

deninger

I use the script step Import Records (from and OBDB source) in several places throughout the solution.

The ODBC data source is defined under File -> Manage -> Manage External Data Sources...

The settings for this data source is completely defined here, including the username and password for the source.

[Authentication set to "Specify user name and password (applies to all users)" with the username and password entered.

Despite this setting, every Import Records Script step requires manual entry of these credentials. Entering them is not a problem most of the time, but I do have several places where the ODBC Data Source Username and Password are different. Instead of just changing the setting under Manage (which would be trivial on install), I have to manually modify each Import Records script step in several scripts to update the credentials.

Is there any way to avoid this? Am I missing something trivial that would ease my pain? is there a way to use a global variable in place of actual credentials?

• 1. Re: Import Records (ODBC Data Source) Credentials
          tcfitzgerald

The data sources you define under File -> Manage -> Manage External Data Sources... are not for ODBC Import, they are for External SQL sources or External FileMaker sources.  Tables from these sources can be placed on your relationship graph.

The ODBC username and password for the Import Records script step is actually stored with the step in the script -- there is not a global way to manage these within FileMaker and you cannot use variables to define the credentials, at least not natively. There may be a plugin that can do this.