4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 3:24 AM by Mike_Mitchell

On-line Web Forms

siskiyou@spiritone.com

I am considering purchasing FileMaker, I used it a lot about 6 years ago, but haven't since.  I'm generally familiar with the myriad things I can do once I have the data in FileMaker.

My question regards getting data into FileMaker.  Our needs are very simple, but I can't figure out from watching the tutorials and other resources if I can actually do what I want directly with FileMaker.

Currently I use Google Forms to collect data from an on-line "Entry Form" I designed that collects info from a competitor wanting to enter one of our K9 competitions. They enter their name, info about their dog and which competitions they want to enter.  I then use that data to create the various paper forms we need to run the competition such as a judges score sheet with their name and dog data on it. I totally understand how I can use FileMaker to do create those type of documents.

What I would like is to create a form in FileMaker that "looks" better visually than the Google Form, which is very simplistic.  Then put that form on-line on our website and have the competitor enter the competition directly from our website using the form I have designed, and with the data going directly into FileMaker for use in other ways.

Please let me know if FileMaker can do this pretty straight forward task and if I just need to purchase the standard version of the application.

Thanks,

Terri

• 1. Re: On-line Web Forms
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, Terri. There's good news and bad news.  

FileMaker has implemented (as of v13) a new technology called WebDirect. This allows you to mimic a FileMaker layout with remarkable fidelity. It's relatively easy to set up (although a few tweaks are usually required to make it work well).

Now for the bad news. You'll need to host the databases using FileMaker Server. Web hosting with FileMaker is a Server-only proposition. You can either use a server of your own, or use a hosting service (one familiar with FileMaker is best).

Your other option would be to use Custom Web Publishing and create the page using PHP (or some alternate method). This requires some web programming skills, but can be done.

After that, it gets a little further out. It's possible to tie a FileMaker database to one of several SQL databases (such as SQLServer, MySQL, etc.). This gets kinda technical, though, and requires cooperation from your web hosting provider.

If all that sounds daunting, it might behoove you to look into hiring a consultant to help.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: On-line Web Forms
            itraining

Hi Terri

Take a look at AirTable. In this instance, it might cater to your web needs and get you up-and-running quickly.

https://airtable.com/features

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 3. Re: On-line Web Forms
              DanielShanahan

Another option is to use an online form generator and drop it into your existing website.  The downside is that it doesn't automatically update FileMaker.  You'd have to pull a spreadsheet and do an import (Update matching records in found set).  However, given the complexity that Mike explained, it may be worth it.

siskiyou@spiritone.com wrote:

Please let me know if FileMaker can do this pretty straight forward task...

I submit that anytime two data systems need to communicate, it is, unfortunately, rarely straight forward.

• 4. Re: On-line Web Forms
                Mike_Mitchell

DanielShanahan wrote:

I submit that anytime two data systems need to communicate, it is, unfortunately, rarely straight forward.

Ain't that the truth ...