3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 3:26 PM by CarstenLevin

upgrade from Filemaker 11 pro to Filemaker Server 14

desireemm1

Hello I am going to do an upgrade from Filemaker 11 pro to Filemaker Server 14 on our server, I was wondering if this will have a huge impact on the current databases??

• 1. Re: upgrade from Filemaker 11 pro to Filemaker Server 14
          steveromig

Hello I am going to do an upgrade from Filemaker 11 pro to Filemaker Server 14 on our server, I was wondering if this will have a huge impact on the current databases??

The biggest change is that your file(s) will need to be converted from their current .fp7 file format to the new .fmp12 file format. 

Opening your .fp7 files in either FileMaker Pro 12, 13, or 14 will automatically convert your files for you.  For most, the conversation process is painless and your files just work.  For a tiny few, you may need to tweak things here and there in order to make things work like they did in your old version of FileMaker Pro.  And, of course, you will need to do whatever additional work that you desire to take advantage of any new features that have been introduced recently.

And, if you are going from hosting your files using FileMaker Pro to FileMaker Server you should see a (substantial) performance gain as well as other benefits (backups for example) when you move to hosting using FileMaker Server 14.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: upgrade from Filemaker 11 pro to Filemaker Server 14
            Mike_Mitchell

As you have time, it's immensely beneficial to rework the interface to use the new layout tools (styles and themes). This will allow Server to work much more efficiently, especially if you're hosting over a slower network.

• 3. Re: upgrade from Filemaker 11 pro to Filemaker Server 14
              CarstenLevin

Hi Desireemm,

If your present solution is hosted with FileMaker Pro 11 it is probably also relatively simple, it will only be a win win win win situation to move to 14 and Server!

And if this is the case you may not need to consider anything at all:-)

But here a little bit about our experience from upgrading large FileMaker ERP solution from 11 to 14.

We just updated a huge ERP solution based on FileMaker from FileMaker 11 to FileMaker 14 in October this year. I will add more about our experience when I know if it is relevant for you. But the result was fantastic. Extreme performance improvements achieved by FileMaker Server 14 in combination with new hardware*

Depending on your solution it may be very easy to convert it. And as Steve write you will probably see impressive performance improvements.

Questions:

• Do your solution use plugins - and if so, which?
              • Is your solution integrating with other solutions - and if so, which?

If the answers to those two questions is "No", then the conversion will probably be extremely easy. If not you need to do a little bit of investigation and if there are issues you should solve them first.

Our solution was a + 100 file solution (actually 4-5 solutions) running on two FileMaker Servers + two web servers and two virtual robot machines.

It is in full time use by users world wide.

It used a lot of plugins and is integrating with Microsoft Dynamics, Magento and other solutions. Some of the plugins was obsolete and had to be replaced, but FileMaker has improved enormously from 11-14 and in many cases FileMaker could now handle the previous plugin tasks native.

But more about this if it is relevant to your case. If not you have a very easy task ahead of you.

Best regards

Carsten

*FileMaker 14 is really using the hardware and especially memory much better than FileMaker 11. It is not just an incremental improvement. I do not know whether you are deploying on Windows or on Mac or both. But the case I describe is Windows based and FileMaker Server 14 runs as a beauty on Windows Server 2012R2 with lots of memory, fast disks and a strong processor setup.