7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 12:05 PM by DanielShanahan

Species and counts in same column. Can they be successfully imported in our custom form?

Ent_Lab

Hello everyone,

I had first replied to this thread: Re: Database Assistance. I'm worried it is too buried to be read. So, here is my first discussion. My lab works with insect trapping, sites, and species counts. My inquiry has two parts:

1) We use FileMaker 11, using seven databases. All data is pulled from the same Excel file. AllSites is relational to Collector Codes and Treatments. LepMASTER is relational to AllSites, LepTaxa, SurveyMethod, and PlantSpecies. LepMASTER then is the primary database with ALL of the trapping information. This is also where we track species and number of samples.

2) This is where I am struggling. We have created a digital reporting form, CAPSdata with relationships to two other databases; Speciesdata and LureReport. Our Excel file has headings with trap number and specific species names. Currently, the way the form is set up, I cannot get the different species to match up to it's coordinating trap number and count. Here is a screen shot of the Excel file:

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 12.04.41 PM.png

Here is a screen shot of the form:

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 11.54.03 AM.png

# male is Species Count1, Species Count2, Species Count3. How do I change my form so I can successfully pull both the species and count from the same column? I attempted to add each species in my Value List, but that didn't work either. I've also changed our spreadsheet to have each species and counts be in their own row, but that creates issues with the trap number not being unique. Any help here would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance. --Angela