4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 9:14 AM by siplus

FileMaker Server

ffaust

I run my business on macs since back in the 80th. Late 80th I developed a database program called Omnis3 Plus with % users. Still using it on the older macs that run System 9. Recently I bought  FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Pro-Advanced and FileMaker Pro-Server. I installed the server software on a dedicated iMac mini, after installing it to the Server, it is said that the installation was successful. I copied a solution that I am working on into the server's desktop but could not fine the FileMaker Server program to open it. it's not on the Applications folder but I could fined a folder FileMaker with files in the library folder but not the application.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server
          siplus

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/14/en/fms14_getting_started.pdf

btw... There is no application. Only processes (try going into activity monitor and typing fms in the search box...)

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server
            steveromig

I run my business on macs since back in the 80th. Late 80th I developed a database program called Omnis3 Plus with % users. Still using it on the older macs that run System 9. Recently I bought  FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Pro-Advanced and FileMaker Pro-Server. I installed the server software on a dedicated iMac mini, after installing it to the Server, it is said that the installation was successful. I copied a solution that I am working on into the server's desktop but could not fine the FileMaker Server program to open it. it's not on the Applications folder but I could fined a folder FileMaker with files in the library folder but not the application.

Any suggestions?

You can access FileMaker Server through the FileMaker Server Admin Console which is done via your supported browser.  Typically this is done using the IP address of the machine where FileMaker Server is installed with ":16000" appended to the end to access the FileMaker Server Admin Console on port 16000.  For example...

11.111.111.11:16000

FileMaker Server runs more like a "service" than an "application" so you won't see it in the Applications folder.

And you can use FileMaker Pro to "upload" your solution to FileMaker Server.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server
              ffaust

Thanks for the information. I did install in about a month ago and could log on to it. Haven't done anything since. When I tried today for some reason I couldn't. reinstalled it today. I will go though the manual and your advice and see were it takes me.

Thanks,

Freddy Faust

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server
                siplus

If you want to manually copy the files to be shared to FMServer, you should:

- close open databases

- stop the server

- copy your files into Macintosh HD - Library - Filemaker Server - Data - Databases

- Get info on the Databases folder and propagate permissions to all enclosed items

- start the server