AnsweredAssumed Answered

Newbie with portal issues

Question asked by Okanagan.Mike on Jan 22, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 by DanielShanahan

Hi All:

New to Filemaker, and my MS Access experience is more than a decade old. I might be missing something obvious, but I can't figure it out.

I have a database that I am creating to manage speakers, attendees, and other items relevant to an annual conference my association puts on. We currently have a serviceable, but ugly looking solution created in Access, but all the association Executive now use Macs, so we want a native solution instead of having to use Parallels.

One layout (EventInfo) is the central clearing house for Conference information, like venue and association staff, and I am trying to add a portal there to display the 9 members of the Executive.  But it is giving me two issues:

1. While looking at the portal I cannot see records created in the Executive table, even though I have created a relationship between it and the EventInfo table. In other words, even though I have a layout that allows me to input records for each Executive member, none of that shows in the portal, despite having the correct table and fields inserted there from the Executive table. Various Lynda and YouTube videos I have watched seem to suggest that if the relationship is there, then putting the fields in the portal should make pre-existing records appear like magic. I am not getting something about the process right, that's for sure!

2. If I create new records in the portal, it increases the number of records found in the Executive table, but I can only see records created this way from the portal. From the Executive table I can see both the previously created and newly created records.

3. A final glitch is that while in the portal, if I click on new record, I get an entirely new blank layout when all I wanted to do was create a new record in the portal itself, not the entire layout.

So much of what I am trying to do in Filemaker has been incredibly easy to do, and I absolutely love working with the program. But this has me stumped and I have spent many, many days on it. Let me know if I have to clarify anything. I am new to asking for advice on a database forum.

I would be grateful for any and all advice!

Mike

Outcomes