8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 10:10 AM by TSGal

WebDirect Can't Select Empty Fields

egnagey

FileMaker Advanced 14.0.2

Mac 10.9.5

Chrome 47.0.2526.111 (64-bit), Safari 9.0.1, FireFox 42.0

Description

Cannot select by cursor (desktop) or finger (mobile) fields without data in WebDirect.  In Browse mode this is any field without data.  In Find mode this is every field.  Essentially WebDirect can only understand the mouse click if there's data to be clicked, rather than the object click itself.  There are no objects layered on top of these fields, and these fields work normally in the desktop client as well as FM Go. 

How to replicate

Add fields to a layout and edit the field attributes (such as boarders, typeface, etc.).  It's indiscernible which attribute is causing this issue, as the glitch does not happen immediately.

Workaround (if any)

Tab from a filled field to the field of choice, or in Find mode tab to the first field and then the necessary field from there.  There doesn't appear to be a workaround in mobile versions of WebDirect, as the iPhone does not have a tab key.

Any known solutions would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: WebDirect Can't Select Empty Fields
          TSGal

egnagey:

Thank you for your post.

Does this issue occur with only a specific layout?  That is, are you able to click/tab into fields on another layout?  If not, are you able to click/tab into fields in another file?

You mention that "...the glitch does not happen immediately.".  Does that mean it does work for some time before it fails?  If so, do you know what actions were taken prior to the issue occurring?  Was there anything unique about the actions taken before the issue?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: WebDirect Can't Select Empty Fields
            egnagey

The FM solution I created has fields that are slightly modified from the "cool grey" theme fields that I initially dropped into the layout from the toolbar.  I changed the typeface, outlines, fill, etc. of one field and then copy/pasted it for subsequent fields.  Several months ago, I noticed this issue in WebDirect.  Every data field (not a checkbox) was affected.  However, if I dropped in a field from the toolbar, and didn't modify its attributes, it behaved normally in my WebDirect solution.  I then made screenshots of all four attribute tabs in the inspector for the native field and my modified fields.  I changed the native field one attribute at a time and checked its behavior in WebDirect.  After all changes were made, the field still behaved normally.  I was not able to determine which attribute had created the problem.  The fields I had changed before the problem were still not working, but the new field I had changed was working.  I then changed all of the fields in my solution (by copying the one new changed field and pasting it again and again), and the WebDirect version worked. 

It's hard to say when it stopped working the second time.  We've had issues with remote access to FM since we upgraded to FM14, and so WebDirect has barely been used since September (we've held off on launching the web-end solution to our team).  I'm not sure if WebDirect was new with FM14, but if not, we did not use WebDirect before the upgrade.  I suppose it's possible the issue lies with our server or remote access, but I don't see how if I'm able to add a new field and have it work immediately.

The issue is with every data field (not checkbox) on every layout.  I have a second "test" version of this file, and this is an issue in that file as well.  We don't have any other WebDirect solutions.

I thought it might have something to do with the changes made to the "cool grey" theme.  I didn't save the changes I made to the theme, so there was a red arrow in the theme inspector tab.  I tried updating the theme, but it didn't affect the field behavior in WebDirect.

• 3. Re: WebDirect Can't Select Empty Fields
              TSGal

egnagey:

Thank you for the additional information.

From your description, it sounds like the original modified field may have been damaged.  That would account for copying and pasting it for subsequent fields to inherit the damage.  Also, adding a field to the layout using the same attributes as the original field would work as the added field would not inherit the damaged style from the original field.

I don't believe the issue is with the "cool grey" theme but probably with one of the styles.  If the "cool grey" theme was damaged, then any field added to the layout would be damaged.

The next obvious question is "How did it get damaged?"  Unfortunately, I can't answer that.  However, I see that you have a second "test" version of the file that contains the issue, so if you want to send it in, I'll be happy to take a look at it.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: WebDirect Can't Select Empty Fields
                TSGal

egnagey:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I am able to replicate the issue using your custom theme "Cool Gray".  When switched to any other theme, field entry is possible.  Creating a new layout using the "Cool Gray" theme also has the issue, so I know the "Cool Gray" theme is damaged.  I have sent your file along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review and see if the theme can be salvaged.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: WebDirect Can't Select Empty Fields
                  TSGal

egnagey:

Our Testing team was able to replicate the issue.  Clicking into an empty field does not work.  However tabbing into the fields works, and also clicking on existing text works.  Testing was also able to confirm the left padding does not match FileMaker Pro.

The information has all been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: WebDirect Can't Select Empty Fields
                    egnagey

Thanks so much for looking this over.  What would you suggest we do to

rectify the issue?  Should we redraw the layouts, create special WD layouts

or remove the left padding in the fields?

Emily

• 7. Re: WebDirect Can't Select Empty Fields
                      TSGal

egnagey:

There is no additional information available.

Until this is resolved, since this issue doesn't occur with a different theme, consider duplicating layouts with the Cool Gray theme and switch to another theme.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: WebDirect Can't Select Empty Fields
                        TSGal

egnagey:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Server 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.