11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 11:26 PM by mrwatson-gbs

FM14 unusable

johntippins

I'm trying the trial version of FM14. It worked for a while, but is now unusable. It began to do weird things - like the cursor would turn into the cmd clover leaf symbol with a dot and menus would stop working. I uninstalled it, ran disk utilities and re-installed. It worked for a shorter time before the same problem occurred. I've now uninstalled, run disk utilities and re-installed three or four times and FM doesn't work at all any more. As it's starting the cursor turns into an egg timer, it launches, the cursor becomes the cmd symbol, and all the menu items are greyed out - apart from the quit command. I've run out of ideas. It's running on OS X 10.11.2 on a 2010 MacBook Pro. I'd appreciate some suggestions, even if it's don't bother with Filemaker.

• 1. Re: FM14 unusable
          steveromig

I'm trying the trial version of FM14. It worked for a while, but is now unusable. It began to do weird things - like the cursor would turn into the cmd clover leaf symbol with a dot and menus would stop working. I uninstalled it, ran disk utilities and re-installed. It worked for a shorter time before the same problem occurred. I've now uninstalled, run disk utilities and re-installed three or four times and FM doesn't work at all any more. As it's starting the cursor turns into an egg timer, it launches, the cursor becomes the cmd symbol, and all the menu items are greyed out - apart from the quit command. I've run out of ideas. It's running on OS X 10.11.2 on a 2010 MacBook Pro. I'd appreciate some suggestions, even if it's don't bother with Filemaker.

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

With the issues you are describing - is this happening with all files, one file, one of the starter solution files?

When I first starting reading your post it sounded like perhaps you had a runaway script that was running that needs to be looked at.  That is why I asked if it is happening with every file you try to use or just one in particular.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM14 unusable
            johntippins

Thanks for your quick reply! I had only tried the file I've spent hours working on, trying to work out out how to use FM14 (I last used FM in version 6!). I've just tried opening one of starter solution files and that appears to be OK. So if it is a runaway script, how do I fix it? Or do I have to start from scratch?

John Tippins

• 3. Re: FM14 unusable
              DanielShanahan

Sound like it might be a Loop without an exit.  Did you use Loop/End Loop in your script?

• 4. Re: FM14 unusable
                jormond

Double check the scripts that have loops in them. Is there an exit point?

• 5. Re: FM14 unusable
                  johntippins

Thanks for the suggestions, Daniel and Joshua. As far as I know I didn't use a script with a loop in, but it appears that I may have created a loop some how. As I can't do anything with the file, it seems like I will have to start all over again.

• 6. Re: FM14 unusable
                    steveromig

Thanks for your quick reply! I had only tried the file I've spent hours working on, trying to work out out how to use FM14 (I last used FM in version 6!). I've just tried opening one of starter solution files and that appears to be OK. So if it is a runaway script, how do I fix it? Or do I have to start from scratch?

John Tippins

In your original post you mention you were seeing the "cmd clover leaf symbol with a dot" which likely means you can cancel whatever script / action is taking place by pressing COMMAND + . (that is holding down the "Command" key and repeatedly pressing the "period" key.)

If that works, you should be able to go in and edit your script to remove whatever "loop" might be in there.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FM14 unusable
                      steveromig

in addition, you can try the Advanced Recovery Options (see FILE > RECOVERY...) to "bypass the startup script and layout" and see if that also lets you into your file.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FM14 unusable
                        johntippins

Thanks, that worked. One of the scripts triggers the clover leaf and "cmd." stops it. So I just have to work out what I did wrong with the script. Thanks for your help.

• 9. Re: FM14 unusable
                          jormond

Print the script to PDF. Copy the text and paste it here. We can probably help identify the problem in the script.

• 10. Re: FM14 unusable
                            johntippins

That's very kind of you to offer, but I don't think it's that straightforward - I've been trying to use scripts, filters and all sorts to do what was so easy in Bento and I think I've got myself into a bit of a tangle which is going to take a while to sort out.

• 11. Re: FM14 unusable
                              mrwatson-gbs

…or easier … install the MBS plugin …. and use the [Copy Script| button in the Script Workspace.