10 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 7:27 AM by TSGal

Able to open remote file that has been removed by FMS14

studietz

Product and version: FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.4 / FileMaker Server 14.0.4.413

OS and version: client Mac OS 10.10.5 / server Windows Server 2012 Standard

Hardware: client MacBook Pro 15" 2013 / server virtual machine

Description: I am able to access, via FMPA (both 14 and 13) > Open Remote, one file on a remote FileMaker Server 14 machine that has been removed via the admin console (moved to the Databases/Removed_by_FMS/Removed/ folder). The admin console does not display the file in the list of files in the Activity > Databases pane, but it is reflected in the total number of databases hosted as displayed on the Status pane. This is only the case for one particular file in the Removed_by_FMS folder; other files in that folder are not accessible. In FMPA Open Remote, I am able to see the file when authenticating to the server, and am also able to open it. I have not tried bouncing FMS yet to see if this resolves the issue, as this is a production server. Either way though, seems like a bug.

How to replicate: n/a

Workaround: n/a

• 1. Re: Able to open remote file that has been removed by FMS14
          TSGal

studietz:

Thank you for your post.

A link to the removed file still seems to be available.  However, it's not clear from your description what other steps you have taken to remedy this.  For example, from the Admin Console, have you closed all files and reopened them?  I realize this is a production server, so is there any time you are able to perform maintenance on the server?  If so, try stopping and starting FileMaker Server.  If that still fails, reboot the server and launch the Admin Console.  Does the file appear?  Is the file still accessible?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in determining the cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Able to open remote file that has been removed by FMS14
            studietz

Hi TSGal,

Thanks. I've now taken the following steps; the removed database is still available after trying each one of these.

- Closing and reopening all files.

- Stopping and starting the database server.

- Stopping and starting the FileMaker Server service.

- Rebooting the machine.

A little more info on my setup: The FileMaker data resides on a separate partition, with FMS set to enable the additional database folder. The removed file is located at <FM data partition>/Databases/Removed_by_FMS/Removed/<database sub-folder>/<database file>. There are other removed db's on this server, both with and without their own sub-folders, and none of them are available via Open Remote. Please let me me know if I can provide any additional information.

-Stu

• 3. Re: Able to open remote file that has been removed by FMS14
              TSGal

studietz:

Thank you for the additional information, and I apologize for the late reply.

What is the name of the file?  Specifically, are there any non-alphanumeric characters in the name?  Any trailing or leading spaces in the file name?  Anything in the file name that could be suspect?

Search the current partition and the separate partition for the file name to ensure there is only one instance.

If you place the file not on the separate partition but in the default location, do you now show two instances in the Admin Console?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Able to open remote file that has been removed by FMS14
                studietz

Hi TSGal,

The filename is vendors.fmp12.

There is no instance of the file in the main OS partition. The only instances of the file in the FileMaker data partition are in the Removed_by_FMS location and in the FMS backup folders.

Leaving the original file in place, I put a copy of it in the default hosted folder (not within the Removed_by_FMS subfolder). This file showed up as available in the admin console. In the Status pane, the "x databases hosted out of total y" message reflected that a database was added, with the original "ghost" database still not displayed contributing to the total number of databases. In FMP > Open Remote, I now see 2 copies of the vendors file available.

Thanks,

Stu

• 5. Re: Able to open remote file that has been removed by FMS14
                  studietz

Quick follow-up: I then, using the admin console, removed vendors.fmp12 from the default hosted folder. Now, in FMP > Open Remote, I'm back to seeing only 1 copy of the vendors file. So, the issue appears to be related to having an additional databases folder on a separate partition.

Thanks, Stu

• 6. Re: Able to open remote file that has been removed by FMS14
                    TSGal

studietz:

We have several FileMaker Server instances in-house, and many have database files in folders on another machine.

Talking this over with other Support Technicians and Testers, nobody has a concrete reason why this is occurring.  The best suggestion is to create another database folder, stop FileMaker Server, move the database files to the new folder, configure FileMaker Server to use the new folder, and start FileMaker Server.  This will force FileMaker Server to read the new folder and open the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Able to open remote file that has been removed by FMS14
                      studietz

Hi TSGal,

Well I feel very sheepish, but I figured out the issue. Someone had inadvertently placed a copy of this database in the Databases/RC_StreamingCache_FMS/ folder. I never thought to look there, until completely removing all copies of the db that I had identified from the server and still being able to access it via Open Remote.

Strangely, placing a database in this folder makes it so the file is hosted and available to clients, but is not displayed in the list of files in the admin console. I would still categorize this as a bug, but recognize the user error involved. Thanks for your help in any case!

-Stu

• 8. Re: Able to open remote file that has been removed by FMS14
                        TSGal

studietz:

Thanks for the update.  I am glad you were able to determine the cause.

I have sent your information to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Able to open remote file that has been removed by FMS14
                          TSGal

studietz:

Testing has confirmed that database files in RC_Cache_FMS and RC_Data_FMS will be opened by FileMaker Server but not shown in Admin Console.  All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Able to open remote file that has been removed by FMS14
                            TSGal

studietz:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Server 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.