2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 10:46 AM by mrosenhek

Containers Stored Externally

mrosenhek

I have solutions that use containers for documents ie PDF, JPG, XL etc. The data is stored externally on the server. However, when doing so, I cannot find a way to make them interactive ie open when the user double clicks the container field to have the file open. When stored on the server all I can do is EXPORT FIELD CONTENTS. That's OK but it means that users cannot actually share the same file. If an edit is made to an XL doc, then the original must be deleted from the record and a new record created which is a pain in the botox.

Anybody know  work around so that users can share and EDIT the original document?

PS While I'm at it (I have not tried this I admit) how do vids behave when stored externally; surely they must be interactive?!

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Containers Stored Externally
          TSPigeon

mrosenhek:

FileMaker will not allow you to have multiple people opening a file from a container and editing it simultaneously by default. The Export Field Contents (usually to the Temporary Path) is a standard way to open and view a file. It is even possible to script a reinsert of a modified file (after export), but still may not work well for a multi-user solution.

Videos may be inserted using External Container Storage and should play properly in an interactive container field.

For more information on using External Container Storage you might check Knowledge Base Article #10244.

I hope this information is of use!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Containers Stored Externally
            mrosenhek

Yep, figured as much. Thanks.