6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 10:22 AM by realgrouchy

Alignment/spacing doesn't copy/paste properly when <<field>> refs are used in a text object

realgrouchy

(Apologies if this has been previously identified; I can't find a good search to look for it that doesn't return zillions of unrelated results.)

I discovered this using a font that was installed oddly on my computer, but I've been able to reproduce the issues with the default font (Arial). I'm using OSX 10.10.5 (Yosemite), FMP14.0.4 and FMPA14.0.4. I also tested on another machine with OSX 10.11.2 (El Capitan) up to Variant 2 and got slightly different results.

Essentially, in Edit Layout mode, when I create a text object and type some text into the object and apply different formatting to the lines, alignment of those lines gets totally screwed up. Types of formatting that I've found affected so far include left indents (left-aligned text), right indents (right-aligned text), and line spacing (by pt) - see last variant.

Note: This test requires a database with a valid field, <<Field>>. The issue does not appear to occur if the field name referenced doesn't exist.

Base scenario (no error):

- In a layout, create a text object and type the word Line four times, separated by line breaks

- Add a left indent of 0.15 to lines 1, 2, and 4, leaving line 3 with an indent of 0.

- Exit the text object, copy it and paste it

- Result: Text object pastes as normal:

Line

Line

Line

Line

Variant1 (no error):

- Start with the text object form the base scenario

- Change the text of line 3 from "Line" to "<<Field>>"

- Exit the text object, copy it and paste it

- Result: Text object pastes as normal

Line

Line

<<Field>>

Line

Variant 2a (Yosemite):

- Change lines 1 and 3 from "Line" to "<<Field>>"

- Exit, copy, paste

- Result: Lines 1 and 2 have no left indent, lines 3 and 4 have indents (i.e. lines 1, 2, and 3 did not paste indents correctly)

<<Field>>

Line

<<Field>>

Line

Variant 2b (El Capitan):

- Change lines 1 and 3 from "Line" to "<<Field>>" (or can leave line 3 as "Line")

- Exit, copy, paste

- Result is different than on Yosemite: Lines 1 has no left indent, lines 2, 3 and 4 have indents (i.e. lines 1 and 3 did not paste indents correctly)

<<Field>>

Line

<<Field>>

Line

Variant 3:

- Change all four lines to "<<Field>>"

- Exit, copy, paste

- Result:

- The indents of the first three lines are preserved, but the indent on the last line is not

<<Field>>

<<Field>>

<<Field>>

<<Field>>

Variant X:

- This is the scenario that I initially discovered the issue with, before looking for the most case:

- Lines 1 and 2 have only <<Field>>, Line 3 has <<Field>> with text following, Line 4 has only text, and line 5 has text followed by <<Field>>

- All five lines are right-aligned, and lines 1, 2, and 4 have a 0.15cm indent (default unit). Line 3 has 0 indent

- Lines 1-5 have font sizes as follows: 12, 12, 10, 8, 8

- Line spacing > Height, in points (not default unit lines) for lines 1-5 are as follows: 11, 11, 11, 8, 8

- Font used is Myriad Pro (Bold), but I doubt that matters

- Exit, copy, paste into same layout:

- Result: All 5 lines are indented 0.15cm (i.e. line 3 had an indent added), and line spacing was changed to 11, 11, 11, 11, 8

Same result encountered when pasting into the same layout or a different one.

- RG>