Presuming this Table Occurrence:
Create new table occurrence based on the same table:
Then create a self-join like so:
Contacts::Contact ID Number = Contacts_partner::Contact Partner ID Number
Then you can use a Go To Related Record script step to navigate between the records.
This structure presumes that a person only has one partner. If that's the case (perhaps it is a spouse?) then it should work fine. However, if a person can have more than one partner (e.g. a law firm) then you'll need to modify the structure.
Thank you Daniel
It is indeed a "partner" in terms of being a spouse/other half rather than a business relationship...
I have been trying something like this (had made a copy of the table occurrence and had set a relationship so that the Contact ID Number equalled the Contact Partner ID Number), and had even thought to try the Go To Related Record script, but couldn't (and can't) get that to work.
I've re-read the help files regarding this script, but can't see what I'm doing wrong...
Where on your layout are you placing the button?
Just to the right of the field...
Okay, just verifying it is in the body.
When you use GotoRelated using layout "Partners", is "Partners" based off of your Contacts_Partner TO or your original Contacts TO?
It may be the settings of the Go To Related Record (GTRR).
Can you post two screenshots:
1. The relationship graph showing the two table occurrences.
2. The GTRR dialog box
I have found the error. ALL mine of course!
When asking the initial question, I had simplified it by only including the relevant fields (with simplified names), whereas my solution already has many more fields called all sorts of names, for various reasons.
To make the screenshots you'd asked for, to get to the bottom of what I was doing wrong, I thought I'd make up a dummy solution with these simple fields in it, and it's there that I've found that at some stage I'd related (to use the names above) the 'Contact Partner ID Number' to the 'Record ID' instead of to the 'Contact ID Number'.
Some of the field names in my actual solution have evolved into being quite similar to each other, something I will have to address, and I had mistakenly joined the wrong one.
By changing this, everything now works as you had said it would.
Many thanks for your help with this, and apologies for asking the follow up question when it shouldn't have been needed.
It was to the 'Contacts_partner' TO, but if you see above, I had made a basic error that meant it wasn't going to work...
Thanks for your help with this.
Glad you found the problem. Creating a simplified duplicate help you de-bug your own code. Great job!