7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 4:48 PM by steveromig

filemaker 11 application

desireemm1

Hello I have a question concerning filemaker server 14 and filemaker 11 pro.  I am upgrading the server to filemaker server 14 some of the users have the application filemaker 11 pro if I upgrade the server to 14 will the users who have 11 pro still be able to open and edit one of the databases they created or no?  its actually only 2 users who do any editing but I need to know is the conversion going to an issue for them??

thank you

Desiree

• 1. Re: filemaker 11 application
          steveromig

Hello I have a question concerning filemaker server 14 and filemaker 11 pro.  I am upgrading the server to filemaker server 14 some of the users have the application filemaker 11 pro if I upgrade the server to 14 will the users who have 11 pro still be able to open and edit one of the databases they created or no?  its actually only 2 users who do any editing but I need to know is the conversion going to an issue for them??

thank you

Desiree

No.

FileMaker Pro 11 (and 7, 8, 8.5, 9, and 10) uses the .fp7 file format and FileMaker Pro 14 (and 12 and 13) uses the .fmp12 file format.

If the FileMaker 11 user is opening files locally that they created then, yes, they can continue to open files.  But if your hope is for the FileMaker Pro 11 uses to open and access files that are hosted using FileMaker Server 14 then that is not supported due to the file format differences.  The FileMaker Pro 11 user would need to update to FileMaker Pro 12 or later in order to access files hosted with FileMaker Server 14.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: filemaker 11 application
            desireemm1

ok thank you the server 14 will be hosting, will they be able to make changes if I give permission??  on the webpage

• 3. Re: filemaker 11 application
              steveromig

ok thank you the server 14 will be hosting, will they be able to make changes if I give permission??  on the webpage

Yes.  The only thing the FileMaker Pro 11 users (or any user for that matter) would be able to do is access the FileMaker Server Admin Console from their web browser to configure the FIleMaker Server. --- assuming they have permission / access to do so.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: filemaker 11 application
                desireemm1

ok good I just want to make sure that the ones who created their depts. database will be able to make changes if they need to.  thank you

• 5. Re: filemaker 11 application
                  steveromig

ok good I just want to make sure that the ones who created their depts. database will be able to make changes if they need to.  thank you

Note...changes does not mean changes to the database itself.  It means anyone with a web browser can administer the FileMaker Server using the FileMaker Server Admin Console.  Users would need at least FileMaker Pro 12 in order to make changes to the database itself.

As an alternative, you might consider using FileMaker WebDirect to access your database.  Some changes to your database may be necessary to get the most out of FileMaker WebDirect.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: filemaker 11 application
                    desireemm1

ok so if they needed to make a change to the actual design they would need filemaker pro 12 or filemaker webdirect?

thank you again Steve

• 7. Re: filemaker 11 application
                      steveromig

ok so if they needed to make a change to the actual design they would need filemaker pro 12 or filemaker webdirect?

thank you again Steve

Using FileMaker WebDirect would allow you to make changes to data BUT NO schema / design changes.

Using FileMaker Pro 12 (or higher) would allow you to make changes to data AND schema / design changes (assuming you have access to do so.)

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.