1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 1:29 PM by tays01s

Export layout as pdf

tays01s

I've experimented with:

1. screenshots (never good enough quality) and

2. exporting a current record from each layout I need. This works OK if all fields I need are from that table. Non-field labels and portals seem to get missed.

Is there any way to get a good quality pdf (or png) of all the elements of a layout? If I could do if via a script, great, but I'll cope with a manual approach.

• 1. Re: Export layout as pdf
          beverly

Can you post a screen shot of your dialog? Current Record is probably not what you want. Have you tried "Blank record" (and it's 3 different options)?

beverly

• 2. Re: Export layout as pdf
            ninja

I screenshot (Active window shot actually...CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-PrintScreen on a PC)

Paste it into PPoint (straight up paste, not paste special)

Enlarge it to fill the slide

Print that to pdf.

I've not been able to find the limit of resolution yet...somewhere in the 300-400% mag range Im guessing...well more than is needed for a printer.

HTH.

• 3. Re: Export layout as pdf
              tays01s

Thanks. I've tried several screenshot combination on a Mac, but quality has never been good enough.

Script: I've just tried with a 'blank record' with its different options. No improvement, ie. for the layouts that have labels or portals, these elements get missed in the pdf.

Beverly: Which dialogue did you need to see?

• 4. Re: Export layout as pdf
                beverly

I was asking about your print dialog. And you say the Blank record is not helpful either. Can you post any of the print to PDF you have?

beverly

• 5. Re: Export layout as pdf
                  tays01s

1, Here's part of the script. The 'Perform Script's are to get the to the layouts±open them if they aren't already in a Window.

2. I've uploaded a pdf to: Dropbox - layouts.pdf

In the 3 layouts you can see:

i) License text is without it's scroll bar.

ii) Top L button without symbol and 2nd field down no border.

iii) 3rd page is missing multiple portals.

Perform Script [ “Home | open” ]

Save Records as PDF [ File Name: “file:Screenshots/layouts.pdf”; Blank record, as formatted ]
                  [
                  Document - Compatibility: Acrobat 7 and later ]
                  [
                  Pages - Number Pages From: 1; Include: All pages ]
                  [
                  Security - Printing: High Resolution; Editing: Any except extracting pages; Enable copying; Enable Screen Reader ] [ Initial View - Show: Pages Panel and Page; Page Layout: Single Page; Magnification: 100% ]

[ Restore; No dialog ] Perform Script [ “Home” ]

Save Records as PDF [ File Name: “file:Screenshots/layouts.pdf”; Current record ]
                  [
                  Document - Compatibility: Acrobat 7 and later ]
                  [
                  Pages - Number Pages From: 1; Include: All pages ]
                  [
                  Security - Printing: High Resolution; Editing: Any except extracting pages; Enable copying; Enable Screen Reader ] [ Initial View - Show: Pages Panel and Page; Page Layout: Single Page; Magnification: 100% ]

[ Restore; Append; No dialog ]

• 6. Re: Export layout as pdf
                    beverly

Ok, I was misled by your "export layout" as pdf. I thought you wanted a "screenshot" of the layout. You meant, Save Records as PDF?

If you PRINT, do you have an option to print to PDF? That's different than Save Records as PDF, imo.

beverly

• 7. Re: Export layout as pdf
                      tays01s

Yes, I've printed to pdf. Looks fine in quality, but for the layouts that contain portals only print the header, not the portals. Strange!

• 8. Re: Export layout as pdf
                        nicolai

I think it is opposite of Beverly's previous suggestion. You need to set you printer to print All Records instead of the Current record. I think it is list layout you are referring to and not the portal as the portal looks OK to me

• 9. Re: Export layout as pdf
                          beverly

I'm not saying Current Record, I believe that what was done by OP. I thought OP needed to print the layout fields, thus the Blank record suggestion.

Portals don't print well this way (all the time), even with All Records. You need to print from the children (as List) and put the parent fields in a header.

beverly

• 10. Re: Export layout as pdf
                            nicolai
                            I'm not saying Current Record, I believe that what was done by OP

Beverly, you are right, you did not.

I was looking at the last point of these three:

ii) Top L button without symbol and 2nd field down no border.

iii) 3rd page is missing multiple portals.  <-- this one.

Looking at the PDF it looks like a list layout and not a multiple portals.

- you need to enable the scrollbar in the Inspector or tweak the theme to show it if it is enabled already.

Th output pdf uploaded by OP attached

• 11. Re: Export layout as pdf
                              beverly

awesome, I hadn't seen what was done (I didn't grab the file from Dropbox).

nevermind...

beverly

• 12. Re: Export layout as pdf
                                tays01s

The first 2 layouts of the pdf I uploaded were part complete, but the last page had most of the layout missing.

All records: I don't want all records sent to pdf. I should have mentioned earlier, I'm using the pdf's in an About file, so what I need is the whole layout, with an example record as it would appear in 'Form View'.

• 13. Re: Export layout as pdf
                                  richardsrussell

On your Mac, ⌘-shift-= (AKA ⌘-+) will enlarge the current window on your screen. If you then take a screenshot, you'll have more pixels to work with, which might solve your low-resolution problem.

• 14. Re: Export layout as pdf

As for the Portal printing Issue with "Save as PDF" it appeared in FileMaker 14.

All is working fine with Filemaker 13.

1 2 Previous Next