AnsweredAssumed Answered

Assign custom inventory items to a portal in another presentation

Question asked by Imhest on Jan 27, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 by Imhest

Hi there, my name is Lucas and i'm currently starting to develop a Filemaker database to help in the office. We do plane maintenance, and as i am pretty new to this software i ran into a problem already and i was hoping you could help me.

I have 2 tables, one of them keeps track of plane information (like owner, pilot, aircraft registration) and the other one works like a simple kind of inventory, listing all the available items that are, eventually, used on a plane that is undergoing maintenance. The fields from the inventory table are as follows: Serial Number, Price, Description. I have both tables related through the Description field.

Apart from that I have one presentation that works as it follows: The aircraft registration plate is listed above a portal that will have inventory items assigned to it. This presentation has the plane information table assigned to it.

What I want to do is to assign inventory items (each record from the inventory presentation is an item) to a portal. I tried making a list from the "Description" values and in the portal, making the description field a popup menu and choosing the item that i want, but i can't create new rows or anything, and when i create a new record it doesn't allow me to add anything to the portal. What's the best way to go about this? Can I even do this with a portal?

Here are some pictures:

ss (2016-01-27 at 12.28.26).pngss (2016-01-27 at 12.29.55).png

ss (2016-01-27 at 12.30.11).pngss (2016-01-27 at 12.30.48).png

Descripcion = Description. Tornillo 2 and 3 (screws) are some descriptions I put as examples to try stuff.

Thanks for your help!

Outcomes