2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 12:37 PM by BillisSaved

External Storage Container Field: relative file location reference is wrong

BillisSaved

Good morning everyone,

I hope your day is going well. Thanks in advance for any assistance and/or advice you are willing to provide!

I'm having trouble displaying a pdf file in a container field. I'm using Filemaker Pro 13 Server to host the database file, and I am storing the container data externally. I noticed that the external storage location relative reference in the container storage options for the field is pointing to a folder that no longer exists. I have specified a location in the Open Storage type field, which is located on a separate network accessible location.

My questions are these:

1. Does specifying a file location in the Open Storage field of the storage tab for the container field supersede the relative file path?
      2. If not, how do you change the relative file location reference information?

Thanks and have a great day!

God bless,

Bill

• 1. Re: External Storage Container Field: relative file location reference is wrong
          SvenLoetscher

I'm still very new to that subject as I've just switched to FM 14 Server this year and have migrated the file storage from container fields within to external (incl. relative paths).

I was under the impression that data entered in the Open storage field (i.e. "Contacts/Attachment/") would be directly used with the relative path specified above (i.e. [hosted location]/"Name of your File or Database".

In the above example the externally hosted file would be stored in a subdirectory where FM hosts your database (i.e. FileMaker/Server/Data/Databases/RC_Data_FMS/MyDatabase/MyDatabase/Contacts/Attachment).

For files stored on a different fileserver/drive, you'd specify it on the FM Server website (not sure if that's the same under FM13) under Database Server/Folders/Container Data Path (you can specify two locations). Then I assume you can select the external file server location in the open storage field in FM Pro.

Good luck!

Sven

• 2. Re: External Storage Container Field: relative file location reference is wrong
            BillisSaved

Good afternoon Sven,

I hope your day is going well. Thanks so much for your help. I believe your answer has put me on the right track. I'll post an update after I attempt to configure some of the options you mentioned. Have a great day!

God bless,

Bill