10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2016 12:43 AM by eoin

FileMaker Go AirPrint and PageSetup with Brother RJ-3150

iconomydk

At the moment I am trying to print a receipt from FM Go 14 to a Brother RJ-3150 printer via AirPrint - and it really teases me :-(

My receipt prints fine, when printing from my Mac, but when printing via Go my receipt is being cut in 3 pages.

Have tried to print just a simple rectangle, and the same thing happens.

I have tried this script:

print setup  ( paper set to 80x120 mm )

set variable $path  Get (TemporaryPath) & “path.pdf"

save as pdf - open

Print

When running this script the first time - the pdf opens up and looks correct.

When the print menu opens - I can see that the page size is correct, but when the second print menu shows up - with a preview. Now the rectangle is cut into 2 pages.

Next time I fire the same script - the opened pdf is now also on 2 pages.

Is this a (known) bug, or can somebody help with what to do ?

Do anyone have success with the Brother RJ-3150 or RJ-3050 ?

Best solution for printing receipts from FileMaker Go ?

Best Regards

Lars

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go AirPrint and PageSetup with Brother RJ-3150
          iconomydk

I can add this to my question.

As I wrote, when opening the PDF the first time via FileMaker script - it looks OK. If I hit the Share button - and choose Print - it prints OK.

When the preview then shows in the print menu - the page is now split into 3 pages.

I now have to change the PageSetup in order to have the opened PDF look OK again.

It is possible to print from the PDF via the share button - BUT NOT VIA FILEMAKER

Bug / Solution / Anybody - please ???

If not - has anybody had succes printing receipts from FileMaker Go?

Which printer ?

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go AirPrint and PageSetup with Brother RJ-3150
            novicenewbie

i have a brother label printer and they told me to use the CUPS drivers instead of the AirPrint drivers (not as compatible).  the CUPS drivers have options to control cutting but the AirPrint ones do not.

hope that helps.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go AirPrint and PageSetup with Brother RJ-3150
              iconomydk

Thanks,

But I cannot find any Cups drivers for the Brother RJ-3150. ?

Lars

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go AirPrint and PageSetup with Brother RJ-3150
                bigtom

Solve all problems with printing in Go by using a print robot if you can. No preview, no weird menus, no problems. Yes it needs a dedicated computer and a FMP client. So $200-300(used MacmMini) for a computer and $329 for FMP to have a super reliable, fast, problem free printing from Go or FMP or even WebDirect for any print, not just labels.

It is not just an issue with Brother printers. Printing in iOS just has issues even when using air print.

filemaker go print dialog problem topic is a good reference as well as Printing with Star Micronics POS Printers.

I use a Brother QL-720NW as a wireless printer for labels. Brother says it works as a certified AirPrint printer but it had problems with sizing in any app except the Brother label app. Print robot machine handles all printing and scanning in the office directly from Go with no dialogs except the ones you create in FM. When you press the Print button it should just print, not send you down a path of menus and botch the print job.

Companies like Star have a go between app and some people are ok with that and some are not.

Call Brother about the drivers, but with the robot client you do not need them.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go AirPrint and PageSetup with Brother RJ-3150
                  bigtom

Just to add, when using the robot you do not need to be creating the PDF docs unless you need them. You can print straight from the layout.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go AirPrint and PageSetup with Brother RJ-3150
                    iconomydk

Thanks bigtom,

I know about this option - unfortunately not suitable for our needs.

It is just not professional to tell a customer buying our POS solution for an iPad, that they have to arrange with an extra computer, license etc. on their desk, just to be able to print. The competition seems to be far ahead of us with printing.

Until now we have worked with Zebra and Mobi Print. So far the best solution. Talking to Star right now regarding their solution. Star PassPRNT

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go AirPrint and PageSetup with Brother RJ-3150
                      bigtom

I hear you. But I would gladly pay for a new Mac mini and one FMP to not have to deal with the iOS print dialogs and issues.

If you asked me to buy your iPad stuff and it didn't just print without dialogues I would be upset. If you told me I needed a separate app and had leave your app for a second just for printing I would wonder about the overall quality of the whole solution. The same could be said with the print server but if it's a single iPad client they might not understand the need for a print server.  Not sure what you charge either and that mixes in.

It is a big problem and there is no one size fits all solution. No option seems to be a very good one.

PassPrint is a viable solution for some situations. I have used it as a user.

Apple is pushing in the direction of apps wiring inside of other apps in the future. That does not help today but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go AirPrint and PageSetup with Brother RJ-3150
                        eoin

I am curious as to why you are going to the trouble of creating a PDF to print in the first place ...

Aside from that, I am also curious if the iPad is running iOS 9, or if you have access to an iPad running iOS8.

Is this problem specific to iOS9 or to both iOS8 & iOS9?.

Apple changed the AirPrint dialogue in iOS 9 which now renders the printout in a preview window. I have noticed it can take a little time for the correct rendering to occur after the initial rendering, about 7-10 seconds. I would imagine with a larger PDF file this rendering could take even longer, it might be worth seeing if this is the case here.

Any attempt to print before this additional rendering has occurred results in an incorrectly sized document printing.

I suggest you DISABLE any "print without dialogue" options in any of your iOS device print script steps, I had issues with these options causing unexplained results.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go AirPrint and PageSetup with Brother RJ-3150
                          bsguy

When speaking of need for dedicated computer to use the robot, could it not run on the same computer as FM pro or FM server? Where does one acquire said robot?

• 10. Re: FileMaker Go AirPrint and PageSetup with Brother RJ-3150
                            eoin

The robot is a computer running FMPro. It is running a continuous script reading and printing entries in a table then marking them as printed.

FM can only run 1 script at a time and this would either be a continuous looping script or an on timer script. So it would not be recommended to have this FM robot as a users FM workstation if you wanted an instantaneous print option.

FM Server has no print functionality in its PSOS script steps.