AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problems with using global fields for scripted finds

Question asked by paulwatts on Jan 29, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 by paulwatts

Ok, so here it is.

Basically, I have a "Jobs" table with a "Job_status" field that is populated using a value list. I added a global field (Job_status_global) to my Jobs table and put this field on my Jobs_list layout. The user populates this global field using a drop-down value list box. I then created a button to activate a script that uses Find Mode, Set field (Job_status; Job_status_global) and Perform Find. Simple stuff or so I thought.

This approach has worked for other tables. However, although it works fine for me (the administrator/developer) in the Jobs table, when any other user tries to enter a value into the global field, they get the message "Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action".

I have read quite a bit about using global fields for searches (e.g. Scripted find examples -  https://community.filemaker.com/message/236362#236362) and have tried some other options (e.g. a separate global fields table) but to no avail. Clearly, others have found difficulties but I haven't spotted a fool-proof method of doing this simple task.

Questions:-

1. Users can enter values into the field Job_status in this table (though not using the Jobs_list layout) but not Job_status_global in the same table. Why?

2. I have checked and double checked user privileges and can't find a problem. Is it a certainty that this is where the problem lies?

I would be most grateful ..........

Paul

Outcomes