6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 1:47 AM by paulwatts

Problems with using global fields for scripted finds

paulwatts

Ok, so here it is.

Basically, I have a "Jobs" table with a "Job_status" field that is populated using a value list. I added a global field (Job_status_global) to my Jobs table and put this field on my Jobs_list layout. The user populates this global field using a drop-down value list box. I then created a button to activate a script that uses Find Mode, Set field (Job_status; Job_status_global) and Perform Find. Simple stuff or so I thought.

This approach has worked for other tables. However, although it works fine for me (the administrator/developer) in the Jobs table, when any other user tries to enter a value into the global field, they get the message "Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action".

I have read quite a bit about using global fields for searches (e.g. Scripted find examples -  https://community.filemaker.com/message/236362#236362) and have tried some other options (e.g. a separate global fields table) but to no avail. Clearly, others have found difficulties but I haven't spotted a fool-proof method of doing this simple task.

Questions:-

1. Users can enter values into the field Job_status in this table (though not using the Jobs_list layout) but not Job_status_global in the same table. Why?

2. I have checked and double checked user privileges and can't find a problem. Is it a certainty that this is where the problem lies?

I would be most grateful ..........

Paul