AnsweredAssumed Answered

PDF insert and viewing problem, seems Mac specific?

Question asked by markhamil on Jan 29, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 by fishtech

I've replicated this issue on four macs so far. It doesn't seem to occur on pc's.

1) Mac Mini, Late 2012, 2.5 GHz i5, 16GB RAM. El Capitan 10.11.3. Filemaker 14.0.4

2) iMac, late 2011, 2.5GHz i5, 8GB RAM. Yosemite (latest before El Capitan). Filemaker 14.0.4

3) Macbook Pro 13, late 2012, not sure on specs on this one. Yosemite (latest before El Capitan). Filemaker 13.0.1

4) Macbook Pro 15, mid 2015, 2.5Ghz i7, 16GB RAM. El Capitan 10.11.3. Filemaker 14.0.4.

Macs 1, 2, and 4 have Acrobat Pro DC. Mac 3 has the latest Adobe Reader.

All are set to open pdf's with preview by default.

I also deleted AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin on all so preview is used to interact with containers in FMP.

We have two layouts which are identical except for the "optimize for" setting on the container fields (6 of them).

One layout is set to optimize for images, the other optimize for interactive content. (start playback automatically is not checked)

Ideally I would like to have only the one layout set for interactive content, the other is a back up in case this layout fails in some way.

The problem is, when I try to insert pdf's into the containers from any of the above Macs, they do not display correctly.

If I drag and drop from downloads or wherever, this is what I get:

(containers 1-3 are pdf's inserted from a pc, container 4, bottom right, is from a mac)

Layout optimized for images:

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 7.06.36 AM.png

Layout optimized for interactive content:

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 7.06.49 AM.png

In the first layout, optimized for images, I can right click, export field contents, open automatically, and view the file in preview.

If I use the scripted open button on the layout, I get this:

(pretty much the same as above)

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 7.12.04 AM.png

In the second layout, optimized for interactive, using the open button on the layout yields the same result as the above screen shot.

However, right clicking over the container offers "reload" which gives a chime and nothing else. Same chime if I try to open in preview with the third button from the left below.

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 7.15.14 AM.png

So, after that long winded explanation, what I'm looking for is:

To be able to drag and drop pdfs into all containers, regardless of optimization setting.

To be able to open all pdfs with the above button directly into preview. (on interactive content layout)

It is also worth noting that, at one time more than a year ago, I was able to do this on my iMac (Mac #2 above).

I wish I could recall exactly when the problem began.

I've spent hours searching this forum and google etc. I would be so grateful if someone could suggest a solution.

I'm so tired of the conversation in the office about it, the words "pdf" and "container field" raise my blood pressure at this point.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

(mark hamil works too, its a long time nickname )

Outcomes