AnsweredAssumed Answered

USPS API Address Verification

Question asked by MacDevGuy on Jan 30, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 by MacDevGuy

DBservices have a post on their blog by Brendan McBride demonstrating how to verify addresses in Filemaker. It's very slick and the script he wrote is very nicely done. I suppose I will end up trying to reach him through the company page but I figured I would post here first and see if anyone had any thoughts or perhaps someone might be interested in the code example.

Looking at the example template there's two tables but it appears that only one field is being used which is labeled " __kptID ". It occurs in the CUSTOMER table and also the
PREFERENCES table. There's also a relationship link but it's got an X between the two.

I was thinking that I could copy the code over and then re-point table references and field names to save some typing.

When I created the table and a layout for PREFERENCES from the example file, Filemaker displays "  " and I am unable to do anything with the fields. I am guessing it's because I need to define a relationship between the two by linking them together and the kptID field is only to tie them together in the relationship graph.

But the fact the example database has an X between the two tables in the table relationship graph is kind of confusing. So my question is: Does merely drawing the line between the two table relate them?

Also upon inspection of the layouts and fields I see the uspsUserID is placed on the CUSTOMER table. I also see after creating a new layout called PREFERENCES the __kptID is running a calculation used to replace the contents which is: Get ( UUID )

If you require more information or would like to take a look at the example files they can be found here:

https://www.dbservices.com/articles/integrate-filemaker-usps-address-validation/

If you have any thoughts on the example or guesses as to what the intention of the kpt_ID or how it's used I would love to hear them. I would love to send a message to Brendan but his email address is not listed and commenting in their blog is turned off. In addition I feel pretty confident that someone here might benefit from his example if they are interested in doing this sort of thing.

TIA...

Outcomes