9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 4:05 PM by beverly

Import Options Dialog

sseelbinder

I am baffled.  I am attempting to import Excel data into an existing database:  File, Import Records, File, XLSX, add new records.  But after selecting Import the Import Options Dialog does not pop up.  I am attempting to add records to an existing table, and not over-write the table.

• 1. Re: Import Options Dialog
          siplus

What happens if you drag the excel file on the filemaker icon ? Are you able to create a new database ?

• 2. Re: Import Options Dialog
            sseelbinder

Yes, but I have an existing DB I want to import additional data into.

• 3. Re: Import Options Dialog
              steveromig

I am baffled.  I am attempting to import Excel data into an existing database:  File, Import Records, File, XLSX, add new records.  But after selecting Import the Import Options Dialog does not pop up.  I am attempting to add records to an existing table, and not over-write the table.

I am slightly confused what you are expecting to "see" once you click on IMPORT.

The "Import Field Mapping" dialog box is the last dialog you will see in the Import Records workflow.  This is also the screen where the IMPORT button is as well as the dialog to tell FileMaker Pro what data should go in what fields.  Clicking the IMPORT button performs the import and displays a summary screen.

Not sure what the Import Options Dialog is?  All "import options" are part of the "Import Field Mapping" dialog.

5551_1.jpg

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Import Options Dialog
                sseelbinder

Searching the Forum, I see multiple references to after clicking the Import button (as above), that a Import Options Dialog prompt pops up?  Perhaps it occurred with an earlier version of FMP?

• 5. Re: Import Options Dialog
                  siplus

Import options shows up when you select import - Folder, not import - File.

• 6. Re: Import Options Dialog
                    beverly

The "Import Field Mapping" dialog shows, and then the "Import Options" dialog shows (#8-9, but only when there are auto-enter fields):

Setting the import action and mapping fields during import

beverly

EDIT: ok repeating fields.... You have the link. RTFM

• 7. Re: Import Options Dialog
                      sseelbinder

Thanks beverly, and I did get the Import Options dialog.  Still not the final results I am looking for.

So, let me rephrase.  I am attempting to import data from an Excel file, into an existing FM Table/Layout, without deleting the existing data.  Every time I attempt an import, instead of adding the new data to the existing file it clears the existing file and adds the imported data.

I suppose I could copy the new Excel Data to say a Excel Master sheet, and import it all each time.  But I thought there may be a way in FMP.

• 8. Re: Import Options Dialog
                        sseelbinder

OK, I am an a duffus.  The records have been importing to the table all along, it was just showing the last import in the layout view.  Sorry all. 

• 9. Re: Import Options Dialog
                          beverly

Now that I read your last clarification, yes, Import shows only the current imported records. Show all, or better yet, toggle what's shown and see the previous records.

It took me a while to "get it" with imports. Hang in there. I've learned a lot from my mistakes - mostly to make backup, Back Up, BACKUP before trying something that I might mess up.

beverly