4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 4:59 PM by beverly

Char(12) (Form Feed)

Allan_Mowat

Char (12) (Form Feed) does not seem to work in a TEXT field what am I doing incorrectly?

if I do

"test 1" & Char(12) &"test 2" gives me a space a result of  test 1 test 2

• 1. Re: Char(12) (Form Feed)
          beverly

What do you expect it to do? Within a field will be a non-visible character (likely), because it's a printer command, right?

If you copy the text in the result and paste into a text editor, what do you see?

beverly

• 2. Re: Char(12) (Form Feed)
            Allan_Mowat

Beverly I get a space where I expect to see the new page

• 3. Re: Char(12) (Form Feed)
              beverly

Is it a SPACE or an invisible char(12)? That's why I asked if you copied the field contents and pasted in text editor to see what you get.

How is FMP supposed to FORM FEED a text field? Do you want a new page to start at that point?

beverly

• 4. Re: Char(12) (Form Feed)
                beverly

By the way, this is what I see in BBEdit (mac) for the text with Char(12) & Char(13). It doesn't "feed the form" either!

formfeed_in_text.jpg

However, the Char(12) appears as a space inside the field in FM, but is really an invisible character. BBEdit proves the Char(12) is there in the copied field!

If, however you are pushing the text to another application which can process a FORM FEED, then that may be a different matter. But the Character is IN the field.

beverly