5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2016 5:28 AM by mikebeargie

File Size Growing Quickly

ChrisVanBuren

I have a very large database that I am looking after - 100 tables - 6700 fields - many tables with 100k records.

This database has been showing a file size increase issue just lately.  For example:

Size 14/11/2015 - 2.6 GB

Size 14/12/2015 - 3.6 GB

Size 13/1/2016 - 4.8 GB

Size 26/1/2016 - 5.2 GB

Size compressed 26/1/2016 - 3.7 GB

When I look into the database, there is "normal" record count growth but nothing to explain the large increases in file size.  I expect that there are a few container fields in the database (for graphics) but I am not aware of any container field being used for document storage or the like (so I don't think the issue is anything to do with container fields). 

I have found this issue:   http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12048/~/saving-a-layout-with-an-unknown-object-causes-slow-performance-and-file-size

I don't think this is the cause.  All clients are FM13.  I am using FMPA14 with the database but have not introduced any FM14 objects...  Server is FMS12. 

Running recover on the file detects an issue which results in a new table "recovered".  This is a long standing issue and has not changed.  The database probably was recovered a long time ago by previous developers but has not been recovered for a long time.  We are living with the known issue as it is not causing any real world problems.

Any ideas what might be causing this?  The file size is not causing any problems but I don't like how it is growing at 1GB/ month.

THANKS.